Chest Pain

strippel

Possibly a horrible misuse of the new CPR rules for Bystanders not Health Care Providers? Laymen no longer have to check for a pulse. Maybe the staff got the wrong tape?

They still need to check for breathing!

Ah yes, good ole nursing homes. This is NOT surprising, although it is a bit amusing. I have to admit I had a little chuckle while reading this post. From experience, Nursing Home staff by majority, (I always get in trouble when I start lumping people together) are incompetent. Let me clarify by stating, that is a fact where I am at, maybe not in the rest of the USA. Let me also say I am NOT insulting anyone's Father, Mother, Daughter, Son, Grandson, Niece, Nephew, 5th Cousin, or anyone in your family that may work in a Nursing home. So now that I've upset tons of people who know I'm right, but like to be politically correct, I will continue... Someone needs to be in contact with the Director of Nursing and the Chief Administrator at that nursing home. You might even give the State Board of Health a ring. I might do a little "self educating" next time I'm there as well. We can all relay stories MUCH worse than this happening in Nursing homes, I'm just waiting for the day when they will finally be held accountable.

They still need to check for breathing!

Yeah, it's like my old instructor used to say...."If dey Got not breathin' and a pulse, CPR. If dey Got no Breathin' with a pulse rescue breath fo dem. If Dey got breathin' but a pulse...stab em in da heart with a stake cuz they just ain't right.

yes....he was cajun

*Timmy has chest pain*

smoke fewer fags, eat fewer kebabs!

currently the british heart foundation has the roadside hoarding advertistment of a person with a belt tight round their chest with the caption

"chest pain is your body telling you to call 999"

sadly they forget to warn the Ambulance service and the EDs - huge number of NAD or mild URTI patients presetning as 'chest pain' at present

direct action has been suggested 'editing' the posters to read " chest pain is your body telling you to smoke fewer fags and eat less kebabs"

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/4233...982_belt203.jpg

/

Im sure theres a joke i dont get here zippy...forgive me for sounding dumb (it is midnight and im shagged out) but if the aim is to get these codgers to call 999 when they are having a heart attack, how are kebabs and fags gonna assist in this campaig?

/

Im sure theres a joke i dont get here zippy...forgive me for sounding dumb (it is midnight and im shagged out) but if the aim is to get these codgers to call 999 when they are having a heart attack, how are kebabs and fags gonna assist in this campaig?

so far we've seen maybe a coupel of people who might have written off their cardiac suggestivechest pain becasue of theadvertsand tensif not hundreds of people with musculo skeletal, URTI or hyperventilation related 'chest pain' - the problem being that anyone who presents with chest pain is meant to be rushed through the system and Assessed completely with sufficient time for them to be thrmbolysed within 20 minutes of booking into the ED ... and any 'failure' to achieve that regardless of the patient's age an/or final diagnosi is subject to 'investigation'

Strippel Said:

Going along with Asys and Rid, even though they aren't rocket scientists. They do pay attention and care about their patients.

Some do, Some Don't. The places I've been to, most don't. It's just a fact of nursing homes. I think they all, for the most part, start out caring. With the increasing amount of patients in nursing homes, they get overworked and start not giving a crap about those poor people in there. I will describe ONE of MANY cases in point.

Called at shift change (7am) for a fall at a Nursing Home. Walk in and can't find ONE SINGLE EMPLOYEE. We walk up and down the halls looking for someone, anyone, and find NOONE. We FINALLY stumble across an elderly man laying prone on his bedroom floor with a large pool of blood around him. The blood, has in fact already congealed. As we are preparing this man for transport the RN on duty comes in and says he's only been like that for about 10 minutes! My partner and I started laughing outloud. According to the patient and circumstances on scene, this man had more than likely been laying there 7 hours! Do you want to know the kicker, He was able to reach the call string on his bed and pull it right after he fell. Noone came. As we were leaving, the light outside his room was on for ALL staff to see that he needed attention.

This is what we're dealing with folks, and it's not getting any better, it's only getting worse.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.