Chest Pain

strippel

Nursing facilities.....

Ten days ago, one of our ambulances gets dispatched to a assisted living facility.

Patient was up and about, had a syncopal episode, passed out on the floor. Staff started CPR, without checking a pulse. Patient rapidly became conscious, and told them to stop. Crew arrived, patient was ALS to the hospital, where he stayed for a few days.

This AM, back at the facility. The patient wakes up, tries to get out of bed, his chest hurts. Not cardiac, but from the compressions. He is sore, and had no OTC pain relief prescribed. They call 911, we take him in. He is evaluated, and discharged.

At dinner time, he has another syncopal episode, and passes out. PD arrives (with AED) to find the patient yelling at the staff to stop hurting him. They again did CPR on him with a pulse.

CAO on our arrival, vitals good. A/V sequential pacer (which he has had for a while) seems to be working well. ALS to the hospital again.

CPR done on him twice in less that 2 weeks. I bet his chest really hurts now.

Is it safe to bring out the "idiot" tag for the nursing home staff?

Maybe they are trying to drum up the numbers of DNR's in the facility by showing what happens during CPR.

You always hear people saying they are going to get "NO CPR" tattooed on their chests.

I think I might just get the proper steps for CPR tattooed on mine. :?

1. SHAKE AND SHOUT

2. OPEN AIRWAY

3. CHECK FOR BREATHING

4. Etc...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.