What should the Basic-Medic Partnership look like?

Should a Basic be allowed to function within his scope of practice without having to confirm every action with the medic and gaining the medics permission?  

54 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes
    • NO

OK. I am the one that sent you the PM, largely because I believe if I have something really disagreeable to say to someone it should be done in private. Maybe your mommy and daddy didnt teach you that. If you would like to get insulting in public, I would be perfectly happy to accomodate you. The fact is that I started this thread with the hope of meaningful dialogue which it appears that you are incapable of. That seems to be impossible given the topic with which I started the thread since this is an argument as old as the hills. What should EMT/Medics teams do? How should they function together.Obviously you cannot provide an intelligent answer to this question. This thread has been hijacked so many times by people who didnt bother to read my original post, that I dont even know whats its about anymore. Many, including you, have just run off on tangents based on the previous post and not on the intention of the thread. I have do it too, to try to maintain dicussion. Maybe its time to lock 'er down. This is just getting ridiculous. Thet next time you say something noxious, ill-informed and stupid I will just blast you in the forum instead of PM. You are right. If I am going to insult you, I should most definately do it in public. Thats the least I can do for someone of you caliber.

Perhaps someone of your caliber should learn your role in EMS,I think many others have shared the opinion that her(EMS49393) posts were on topic. And as for yourself, when you get a little experience then you might be entitled to an opinion. In an ALS service the Paramedic is ULTIMATELY responsible for any actions that occur during the shift, therefore the Paramedic is in charge. I put my time in just like the rest cleaning up other peoples messes and playing the role of faithful sidekick. After all this was said and done I decided to become a Paramedic and move up the food chain, I would like to suggest that you do the same thing. Also you are the individual that appears noxious and ill informed and possibly stupid. I don't live far from your state of Illinois perhaps I should come "get to know you" as you suggested in earlier posts.

One last note before I close, respect must be earned and you have not gotten off on the right foot in that respect. You sir have a very large opinion of yourself and your knowledge for having been on this job for a year or less.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

respect must be earned and you have not gotten off on the right foot in that respect. You sir have a very large opinion of yourself and your knowledge for having been on this job for a year or less.

Hmmmm...well put fella.

Respect is earned, not demanded. Not asked for. Its funny, but people who are truely respected usually dont know it until someone tells them.

This applies to all levels of provider. When we define our careers in EMS, it comes, quite simply, from the school of "hard knocks". Get used to it. The only thing you earned by getting through EMT class is that you have the ability to show up to class. Guess what, any sloped forehead goober can get through the course. What defines you, are the steps you make beyond that.

Educate yourself, know your job inside and out, and recognize your limitations. Expand your knowledge, not just within the confines of the next higher certification, but of general medicine itself.

Knowing how to provide oropharengeal suctioning in and out is great, but knowing all your skills plus the clinical uses of the medication lisinopril, the disease processes of diabetes, and the purpose of dialysis in the renal failure patient makes you something worth respect. Knowing how to do your job, simply means you met the minimal level of competence.

Guess what, the minimal level of competence isnt all that impressive, and damn sure not worth any of our respect.

Want to step up in this industry? Start with your education. Expand your knowledge. Make yourself a better EMT across the board. In the mean time, take a night class or two at the school of "hard knocks" and pay your dues.

PRPG

Ghetto-

While your post was a bit rude, as have many of mine been lately and for that I take responsibility, I will do my best to take the valid points of your opinion. Contrary to what you may believe, I do not need your permission or to become a medic in order to have an opinion. There are many towns, townships, etc that have only EMT-B responders and I am sure that they are allowed to have opinions. I disagree with your assertion that a medic has control over a basic from the moment the shift starts, whether the crew is on a call or not. This is not the military. While I refer to my medic partners as sir and ma'am unless otherwise told, I do not work for them. I work with them as their assistant. If you have been paying attention to some of the more subtle points in my posts recently you will see that I am becoming comfortable with my role as basic being the medic's assistant. I am proud of that role and take it very seriously, and I do a very good job as anyone who has worked with me, rather than just read posts, will tell you. Im not sure where you are from but I would be honored to meet you. I will be working in Canada during the late winter and into spring, but it would be nice to put a face to some of the names here at the City. I dont ask for more respect from medics than is my due, but rather for equal respect as a trained EMS professional, licensed to do a job which i am honored to do. If you went back and read the whole thread here, you would see how it has degenerated from my first question, which was how should the medic/basic partnership work. The things has just been hijacked so many times that it no longer bears any resemblance to what i had in mind, which was to learn from my more experienced collegues.

Ghetto-

I disagree with your assertion that a medic has control over a basic from the moment the shift starts, whether the crew is on a call or not.

I don't believe he said he has control over the basic whether or not the crew is on a call. He stated he is responsible for any actions that occur. I'm sure he doesn't care whether you eat at McDonald's or Chinese Dragon for lunch. Our concern is patient care, and that is where we ultimately have the responsibility.

In an ALS service the Paramedic is ULTIMATELY responsible for any actions that occur during the shift, therefore the Paramedic is in charge.

Yeah, but the thing is no one WILL be as smart, good looking, charming, or educated as I am, and most of all, they won't be as humble as I am. Thats not my fault! :lol:

Well of course that goes WITHOUT saying with you, Dust and Rid.......No need to even touch on that :P

I've given up shining my boots (which, to be honest, never were that shiney in the first place) and will never iron my uniform. As long as my partner has bathed, brushed their hair, shaved their face (if a guy), and has a clean uniform on, what else matters? I doubt that the one thing that strikes onlookers at a scene is how well pressed the responder's pants are.

Did you press your clothes and shine your shoes before you came to the job interview?

If not, I wouldn't have hired you.

If so, I expect to receive the same respect and consideration after I am paying you as you gave before I was paying you.

Disrespect me and you will leave the way you came. Unemployed.

Did you press your clothes and shine your shoes before you came to the job interview?

If not, I wouldn't have hired you.

If so, I expect to receive the same respect and consideration after I am paying you as you gave before I was paying you.

Disrespect me and you will leave the way you came. Unemployed.

No, but I do show up to interviews in at least a collared shirt and tie, normally a coat too. I wash my clothes, I hang them up thus avoiding wrinkles. It's not like I look like a bum or anything when I go work or an interview.