What should the Basic-Medic Partnership look like?

Should a Basic be allowed to function within his scope of practice without having to confirm every action with the medic and gaining the medics permission?  

54 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes
    • NO

Oh the Horror! ( with apologies to Marlon Brando from Apocalypse Now ):laughing3:

First, Welcome to the City BearcarEMT.

In your future posts, please try to shun away from using letters for words ie: u for you, ur for your etc., it's not very professional. Also, it is almost impossible to submit your post without using the spell checker, please try and utilise it.

I have been observing this post and it always comes down to the same thing every time we debate this issue. It becomes a mud slinging, medics vs basics pissing contest. Should Basics be allowed to operate within their scope of practice? I suppose, once proving their abilities to their Medic partners. After all, they are the senior and therefore, ultimately responsible for patient care. Understand, if the basic makes a mistake, then the medic takes the heat for it.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

with the most respect to u jakeEMT i really dont care about lookin professional on a posting, PCR's are different here i would like to do it my own way. sorry if it offends u, if it does then dont read my stuff again im not trying to piss u off i just want to be myself and not told what to do

Pardon the hijack... This is a website, and is set up to be public domain. Any person can type EMT or paramedic in a search and be directed to this very site. How we post reflects on our profession. I can not see how a layperson would have any faith in an EMS crew after reading some of these unintelligible posts. Thankfully, we have many more literate people on here than not. I hope that is what the public remembers. Would you go on a call in a uniform that looked like you just rolled out of a sheet sandwich and smelling of cigarettes and funk? This is a profession in the publics eye, think about how you are perceived.

with the most respect to u jakeEMT i really dont care about lookin professional on a posting, PCR's are different here i would like to do it my own way. sorry if it offends u, if it does then dont read my stuff again im not trying to piss u off i just want to be myself and not told what to do

And the lack of professionalism that your posts demonstrate is exactly how others will form opinions of you. If you take the time to construct your posts as you would speak to a colleague in the same profession as yourself, you will find that you are received in a much warmer manner. While you're only "posting" here, you are among your peers and colleagues. Speak (or in this case write) in a manner that reflects your intelligence. This attitude that you've already demonstrated about wanting to do it your "own way" isn't really the best way to start off. Imagine starting with that very same attitude when you're working with a new partner for the first time? Treat us as colleagues. Welcome to the city.

Shane

NREMT-P

One of these two unfortuante situations obviously exists here:

• as directed in the "New users, read this first!" thread. If this is the case, I suggest that you go back and do so before you press the post button again.

Or...

2. You're an arse who read the site rules but simply thinks you're too good for the rest of us and has no desire to be a respected and constructive member of the community. In this case, just leave.

• Either way, best of luck in your career.

It's an Army thing. It's a utilitarian word that can be used as an affirmative reply, a greeting, or an exclamation. Kind of like the F word, it is useful in many situations. However, as much as I love the Army, I find the whole "hooha" thing to be just gay. :?

Navy and Marines say "hooyah," because, well... they have to be different from the Army. :roll:

The Air Force just says, "Dude!" :D