For you TacMed people

Guest CHP medic

Yep. Most little boys grow up with the urge to play army.

Most outgrow it. Some don't.

Some don't until they realise that real bullets aren't nearly as fun to dodge as paintballs.

Regardless, I'd sure like to know which tactical medic course is teaching "operators" to competently diagnose and treat headaches. :roll:

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well said Dust. Hell, I even started looking into the Blackwater training program until i find out that they will only take intermediates or medics and then only with a good dose of "tactical" experience under your belt. I have also recently done some research and found out how dangerous alot of these PMCs are. You mentioned there being opportunities for civilian contractors in the medical field over there. I would be interested to know more about who trains them, what the training consists of, etc. Thanks Dust. Good luck and keep patching up over there, while trying not to become a patchee yourself.

Well first let me say thank you to all of you who are either currently serving or have served our great country. Now as far as the training I agree there are schools out there that have no business trying to teach anything but that goes with anything not just tactical classes. As far as a fad I don't think it is going to be I think it is turning into a specialty for medics that will be good for everyone.

What makes you think that a major contact and blood shed will make me quit that is what we train for I am not saying that I wont be scared but I am confident in my skills and think I will do fine. I am not new to EMS at all I am a well experienced paramedic for a very busy service.I just want people to see the big picture before trying to bash something they know nothing about. Stay safe.

Hell, I even started looking into the Blackwater training program until i find out that they will only take intermediates or medics and then only with a good dose of "tactical" experience under your belt.

Not entirely true. Blackwater offers their SWAT Medic program as part of the several week "train up" for their PSD (personal security detail, i.e., protecting someone important) contractors who will deploy with them. The ALS certification is required for those who serve as medics for these teams. You can take the course without the prereq and without deploying with them. It'll just cost you some money.

'zilla

...I think it is turning into a specialty for medics that will be good for everyone...

Have you considered what kind of increase in violent crime would have to occur in the US before even the slightest need for such a "specialty" arose? Dude, it ain't happening. Not to mention that most professional police Tac teams are smart enough to do the math and realise that the whole concept is an unnecessary joke. Ever seen an ad in a professional journal or the want ads looking for Tactical Medics? Don't hold your breath. If there was any kind of demand at all, there wouldn't be all these people asking how to become one.

Although, if I were an unscrupulous fraud who wanted to make a tonne of money teaching something that was absolutely useless to a bunch of wannbes who will never in a million years use it, I would open me a Tactical Medic school when I get back home. It's amazing what people are actually willing to pay for these nonsense schools. And if I sold black BDUs and subdued "Tactical Medic" patches on the side, I could double my money and retire in two years.

Ok so you don't think it is changing how many of the major swat teams out there do you think do not have some kind of medic? I know for a fact that the Dallas team has a physician on the team. Our medical director for our team was a doctor on several teams in the northeast and he is a contoms graduate. I am not sure why you are so against swat and the idea of medics on the team but I think you are totally off base. Think of how high crime rates are and tell me there is no need for such teams. I will stick to my ideas on this and continue to argue the idea. Stay safe out there.

Thanks, Man. I appreciate that.

Don't get me wrong. I am not against the concept. There is a place for it. I am just realistic about the actual need, as well as the actual usefulness of the concept. And I am annoyed by the whacker nature of most people's interest in the concept.

Why do teams have them? Because they can. But the entire Dallas team is a joke, so I certainly wouldn't use them as any sort of standard to behold.

Ok so you don't think it is changing how many of the major swat teams out there do you think do not have some kind of medic? I know for a fact that the Dallas team has a physician on the team. (quote Bulldogmedic)

I almost wet myself! He's a fat bastard who looks like he'd be a patient if he had to run up a couple flights of stairs....and for what its worth, he sits outside in an armored vehicle.....

You missed the point entirely all I am saying is that teams all over the country are adding medics in some form or fashion whether docs or paramedics. I don't think you need a mobile trauma center you do need all the essentials to stabilize the person as fast as you can. I can argue this until I am blue in the face and it will not matter because some of you will not look at the other side of the situation.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.