MDI Overdose

stever

Had an interesting call the other day, curious what you guys would have done.

25 yo m presented with severe chest px following 25-35 hits off his MDI. PMHx of asthma, multiple suicide attempts, bi-polar (stated he took his other meds as prescribed). Initial vitals: 150's systolic, HR: 140's, sat-ing okay, all other exam unremarkable. Got him in the rig, o2, iv, monitor (sinus tach without ectopy or ST elevation). Go en route, pt c/o dizziness, light-headedness, vitals: HR 170's, BP: 100 systolic, still sinus w/o ectopy. Started a fluid bolus, then arrived at the ED.

My question (new medic here). Would you have done anything pharmacologically. And, I know albuterol / atrovent has some side effects, but how far could this have gone? PVC's? Coded?

Have you seen this before?

stever

You could consider treating it like any other sympathomimetic toxidrome. Benzo's are your friends.

The anti-cholinergic situation would best be left to run it's course. Using a cholinergic agonist is really only intended for critically ill, and you really don't have any options.

Given the sceanrio you posed, I wouldn't have gone to the drug bag to fix this problem. The medications he has taken have Beta one and two effects driving the heart rate up. A fluid challenge wouldn't be wrong, but doesn't really treat the underlying issue. Supportive care in this case is exactly how I would have handled the call.

Shane

NREMT-P

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.