New Immobilization device

bassnmedic

No, but I played with one at a convention.. The idea is great and appeared for a "normal" 170 pound patient it was nice and soft etc..

The problems was most patients are too large to "fit" in their compartments. Second placing and definitely removing them from a LSB or even to roll them over to check the back in the ED.. something to think about..

I would like to hear from clinical field trials...

R/r 911

Hmmm as Rid said the idea is great. Only problems I have, I’m not going to spend 5 minutes cleaning it making sure there’s no dust or dirt before we assemble it when there’s a kid dying out in the middle of the motocross track. While I can see how it would offer better immobilization while transporting, I don’t see how it would make any difference from doing a normal log roll onto a spine board.

The website bstates there are 2 sizes...adult and pediatric. I inquired as to the log rolling question and was told the device is supple enough to log roll onto as it will give. The ad states that this device will do away with the need for cervical collars. However, I see no way that this is possible due to how patients can be trapped in MVCs. As for worrying about dirt or whatever in the middle of a motocross track, I Can't speak for most services here, but our boards are kept in a compartment until needed. Besides the same dirt that might get into this device is going to get on your LSB anyway when you roll the patient onto it. I think Innovative has come up with a device that is heading in the right direction but at those kind of prices I'm not sure how many the can sell.

Take care,

Todd

The ad states that this device will do away with the need for cervical collars.

Well that defies everything we learn. Very controversial issue.

I agree with Rid, I would love to see clinical trials.

it seems to be fine for the "standard pt." but what about the 300 pound pt. or the 6'5" pt. and not needing the c-collar is just a foolish. and my agency has one and it is very difficult to log roll onto. the management bought it without consulting us. most of our medics don't use it at all we use the lsb mainly for the afore mentioned log roll

I suppose or your 1 MVA a year Rescue Squad, this might work, but or any service that reuses spinal immobilization devices on a regualr basis, this thing looks like it will suck it after a month or two. Is it easy to decon, or does the foam suck up ickies?

Are we really discussing this pointless piece of crap again? I can recall at least two or three previous topics addressing it, including the one started by the manufacturer's rep, who quickly slithered away when a couple questions were asked that he couldn't answer.

Looking at the link, I do see that they have made some design changes since we last discussed this. However, they have apparently done nothing to rectify the major problem associated with the device; there is no safe way to get a patient onto or off of the mat from any position.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.