• No, I'm healthy and I don't need one.
    • No, I'm not able to recieve the shot due to an allergy
    • No, the vaccine is not available to me or i can not afford it
    • No, I'm more likely to get the flu from the flu shot

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:sleepy2: ummm I just got my flu shot at work and all the lights went out and the emergency generators came on then the fire doors slammed shut and the alarms went off simultaneously. Is that two men dressed in black suits? How did they get in the hospital this late and now? Wait what are you doi... :sleepy2: snort

:sleepy2: , Yawn , :shock: oh thank God i'm sorry i was just dreaming i was some crazy lunatic conspiracy theorist who thinks the gov't is out to get me through my flu shot.

:wink: 8)

I really did get my flu shot at work and nothing happened we have the choice to opt out. As an educated health care professional (RT in the hospital and a Paramedic in the field) I feel i should get a flu shot. Anything to help protect the immunocompromised patients or any other patients i deal with on a daily basis i feel its my duty to help protect them and also myself and family at home.

THREAD HIJACK TIME!

It would appear the government here is going to add to the national vaccination program....wait for it.......

A childhood vaccination for cervical cancer! woohoo!

Not that this applies to me:D

I got the flu shot because my instructor recommended it :roll: . I gave it to a lot of people because my instructor forced me to :P . I was going to post a witty comment about the flu shot and how good it was but WHAM!! i got the flu two days ago :( ... guess the government plan didn't work with me. Oh well, maybe next year.

Okay, I thought I would place some general information about the flu.. incubation time, info about vaccinations, etc.. Since we will be dealing with it daily soon, you might want to be abreast of knowing about it...

[web:ab69b6df8f]http://www.cdc.gov/flu/keyfacts.htm[/web:ab69b6df8f]

Some people don't wear seatbelts, because they have heard about someone somewhere in the world who drowned because they were wearing a seatbelt. Some people don't buy insurance, because they think that nothing is ever going to happen to them and the premiums are wasted money. Some people say flu shots are over-priced and unnecessary. Intelligent choices? Not for me to say, but yes, I buckle up, I pay my premiums, and yes, I get my flu shot.

We are in the business of being exposed to sick people. These sick people can be passing lovely micro-organisms to us, or we can be passing those critters to them. It only makes sense to me to take advantage of any possible "insurance" that is available to minimize possible problems. Is it always going to work? Maybe not. Is it always going to be a pleasant experience? Probably not.

Make your own choices - I know I have.

Vitamin C supplements don't help fend off the flu. You're better served by eating well, exercising regularly, and proper and thorough hand washing.

I get a flu shot every year.

Studies have shown that when you vaccinate kids against the flu the rate of illness in adults drops. Following that, if I can keep from getting sick I won't spread anything to my patients. And if they're already sick then I won't get it. I certainly can't help them if I'm sick.

Vaccinations are part of our responsibility as health care providers. Failure to keep up fails our patients, our families and ourselves.

And I must say, a basic college microbiology class can go a long way to ease the paranoia some feel about such things.

-be safe

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, that's why we haven't been cloned yet....(i say yet)

There is absolutely a place for certain vaccines and medications, however i just believe that they should be handled like everything else in life- in moderation. If you have a cold, stay home and watch Oprah, you have pneumonia, get your ass to the hospital and take care of it. If you are a healthy person with a healthy lifestyle, you eat right, exercise and take your vitamins, then your immune system should be able to handle the flu. If you are part of the population who has previous health problems that render your immune system incapable of fighting the illness, then perhaps you should get the vaccine.

I'm not saying that no one will die from the flu, but I'm also not saying that no one will die from the vaccine. Weigh your options and look at your situation to decide your course of action. Very simple illness can kill people, I'm aware of that, but the chemicals in the vaccine have not been around for very long and we truly don't know the exact long term effects of those either...(ex. just announced on the news that the flu shot is linked to Guillain-Barre Syndrome, I'm sure that being rendered paralyzed over night is much worse than shingles) Not that shingles doesn't suck, but for me personally, I know what the flu is and I'd rather take my chances with it than with whatever chemical is entering my system that society hasn't had long enough to research.

Claiming that a parent is neglectful to not vaccinate their child against the flu is a huge stretch....I believe that certain vaccines should be given to children, for certain diseases such as polio and meningitis, these are horrible illnesses that are more likely to kill you if you aquire it. In this case, i would rather take my chances with the vaccine than the disease. Each case is so individual and each person is so individual, I just think that we all need to think for ourselves and not take the government's word for it.

There are many natural ways to protect yourself from illness, (yes, I realise that natural remedies are not completely safe either) but bottom line is that there are options ( I in fact know of a company that has created a product to bring "life" back to Hep C patients. The product is 100% natural and is derived from an ant in the rainforest. Tests have been done, studies have been done and has been tested on patients, one a 12 yr old boy who was bed ridden and is now back at school and playing sports, riding his bike, he gets to be a kid again. Due to funding, this product is only distributed to the test patients, but this company is bombarded daily with calls from individuals who would do anything to get their hands on this product. They have done everything in their power to get their product put on the market but due to pharmaceutical regulations, because this is a natural product it will never be given status in the market because they will never liscence it. - I know this because a family member worked for this company) Alright, so now you all could come back and say that the long term effects of this product have never been tested either, and you'd be correct, but all I'm trying to say here is that there are options out there and if you would rather take the pharmaceutical way out, then good for you, but there are those out there who would much rather choose this natural organic route, and why is that so wrong?

How could people like me be in this industry if we don't believe in vaccines and medication? Easy, we care for the well-being of people, and we are here to help them, in whatever way possible. We are not against emergency medications and the situaitons they are used in, perhaps we just have concerns about the long term effects of these meds and the huge cases of polypharmacy that are becoming a reality for so many. I'm sure that some of those meds are required, but you have to admit that after a point we just start medicating the side effects of other drugs.

I know that there will be a huge backlash to what I've just said, and I expect it, as i said we all have our opinions. But after a while I just believe that you have to think for yourself and do what you believe is best for you and your family, this will not be the same for every person, as it shouldn't be. We have all encountered situations that made us who we are and these situations have made us make the choices that we make. All in all, do what feels best to you and realize that in the in the end we really have no say in what happens to us- natural selection will take place no matter what we do.

I hope that everyone feels comfortable making their choice and that they do so because they want to, not just becuase they are told to, that's all, i'm done.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.