Do you still study?

BUDS189

I'm in A&P II as well as chemistry next semester; I have had advanced high school chemistry. Unfortunately the associate paramedic program here doesn't require microbiology. I have noticed that I seem to be one of the very few people in the school opting for the degree instead of just getting the certificate. the difference being the degree has general education courses before. I just want to get used to learning some of the drugs and contra/indictations now so it won't be overload next year. I understand that this won't be as comprehensive, but at least I'll be ahead of the game. I don't want a PDR, just a good emergency pharm guide.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess I study in the sense that when I run into things on calls that intrigue me or I don't understand, I research that particular topic. Same with questions or scenarios here. I try to keep up on meds, too, since so many are newly marketed or list different name brands vs. generics. I think that is all fine as far as it goes - definitely helps on calls in day to day practice. The problem with this for me seems to be that the learning is kind of willy-nilly: a bit of knowledge here, a bit from from over there, often without the benefit of necessary connecting knowledge. That is why I look forward so much to returning to school. It seems to me that structured education will provide much more complete information, in a logical sequence, that will prove more beneficial to both myself and my patients.

I study as often as I can but I don't consider it studying.

I'm usually reading or looking up something on the net in order to get a better grasp on things. I also believe that even though as a medic you should keep on top of your game you should also provide for learning something apart from EMS.

If you have wanted to know about underwater basket weaving and wanted to learn it then I'd study that. If you want to know how to make a alarm clock work then learn about that.

There is no reason you should only focus on your job for studying. I for one during work as a medic started to take classes in project management at the graduate level and now I work in consulting doing EMS part time. I see all I want of the ER while working as that is what kind of consulting I do.

So I don't believe that you should completely focus on EMS education but the more knowledgable you are the better Cliff Claven you can be.

Unfortunately the associate paramedic program here doesn't require microbiology.

That is unfortunate only if you make it so. You get electives. Make one of them Microbiology. As daunting as it sounds, it's a lot easier than Chemistry, and a lot more useful to you in EMS too.

I have noticed that I seem to be one of the very few people in the school opting for the degree instead of just getting the certificate. the difference being the degree has general education courses before.

Kudos to you for that! You have my respect.

I just want to get used to learning some of the drugs and contra/indictations now so it won't be overload next year. I understand that this won't be as comprehensive, but at least I'll be ahead of the game. I don't want a PDR, just a good emergency pharm guide.

Meh... I am not really so sure it will put you ahead of the game. You won't graduate any faster. You won't be practising any faster. And you'll still come out of school knowing the same amount as the rest of the people in your class. I honestly don't see this as something that will do you any good in the long run, and I see how it can be harmful to your educational efforts. Pharm is something you have to learn methodically, from a scientific perspective. Simply learning that Inderal is a beta blocker that will slow the heart rate is not particularly helpful to you if you don't understand the physiologicall method of action of beta blockers. And when you are taught pharm in school, you will learn it in that sequence. Memorising random facts off of drug cards or pocket guides just doesn't give you anything of value ahead of time.

I am not against getting a head-start on education, by any means. I just am against anything that impedes your education, or simply does not contribute to it. You are definitely on the right track by desiring to study the medical portion of medic education, as opposed to wanting to learn IVs and intubation ahead of time. But drugs are not a good choice. If you want to get ahead, I have to say that you would be MUCH better off getting yourself a copy of Dale Dubin's "Rapid Interpretation of EKGs" and studying that. That book TEACHES you EKG interpretation in a methodical, scientifically sound manner, from the ground up. And that is the hardest part of medic school. If you want to learn something that will put you ahead, that is the way to go. You'll be able to kick back and relax through the hardest part of medic school after spending a few weeks with that book. On the other hand, if you spend the next year studying a drug guide, it is not going to make any part of medic school easier for you. And you can start using your EKG knowledge immediately as a basic. You can't do anything with any knowledge you might memorise about drugs except piss off your partners.

EKG interpretation is simply part of patient assessment. And patient assessment is always a great choice of topics to devote extra attention to, at any level of certification.

Good luck!

Dang Dust that was the best reply I've read in a long time. Are you sure you are the same dust we all know or did you get caught up in that mass kidnapping yesterday and they cloned you.

My prayers for those who were kidnapped.

Did you get my pm?

If you don't take Dust's advice and want to study pharmacology here is a site that might just fit your requirements.

http://www.geocities.com/doctor_uae/pharm1.htm

For your leisurely reading, and getting a good understanding of physiology, I suggest Guyton' Physiology. It is geared for medical students...

http://www.amazon.com/Textbook-Medical-Phy...y/dp/0721659446

For a true understanding of basic medicine after you have read Guyton' physiology, then I highly recommend that you read one chapter a week in Cecil's Essentials of Medicine

http://www.coderscentral.com/04_cecil_text..._medicine_e.htm

One would have a pretty good basic understanding of medicine.

R/r 911

Sorry guys, but I've got to disagree with Dust on this one.

ECG interpretation needs to wait until you have a good grasp on pathophysiology. Knowing the identifying characteristics of a given rhythm, means nothing if you don't understand the underlying disease process. Spend the time/effort in figuring out how the body systems work when things are amiss. An A&P class will explain the where's/how's of body function, but most don't spend much time describing why dysfunction presents the way they do.

Acid-base, fluids & electrolytes, cellular injury, & the immune response will be involved in every subject that you will cover. It is the base of information for you to build on. Trouble is, most programs give it lip service and move past it.

Good luck to you.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.