EZ-IO Drill

spgmedic

Some of the problems I have witnessed and seen with the FAST device, was initially displacing the "bone plug', and when removing the needle, one must have wrench or device. This device is very easily lost.. I know I have had more than one call, asking for another one.

Yes, they work ... I can attest to that and are another option.

In comparison, I do prefer EZ I/O over FAST, due to the ability of multiple injection sites, ability for pediatric and adult and multiple size of needles.

The costs unfortunately is still high and with the recent advents of AHA standards recommend I/O in lieu of ETT med.'s, I doubt the price will reduce in the immediate future. Hopefully, more companies can make competition more available and reduce the costs of these devices.

R/r 911

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rid, unless the ownere of the ez IO drill doesnt' have a patent on this device will competition be there. I think other companies would be worried about patent infringement.

What do you think?

I am sure the makers of EZ I/O are guarding their patent well. But, like everything else, it will have to run out someday. I am sure there are companies out there as we speak are attempting to "copy" such devices with enough difference to be able to produce the same effect, but enough difference to not infringe the copyright.

I do wish, they would come down in price... they would definitely be used more. It appears they are taking advantage of "being required". I am sure they are trying to re-coup and make as much $$$ as they can... why the going is good.

R/r 911

• 1 month later...

We have been using the Bone Injection Gun for 2 years with great success. There are no extra start up costs, and we are paying about $60.00 per device. I believe this is half the cost of the other options. We recently used the BIG on a Trauma Victim for RSI .... The Flight Crew was preparing for Central Line until we stuck a BIG in the Proximal Tibia. Airway captured, Patient on the way to Trauma Center. I would recommend that you explore all options. we have found Adult I/O to be very valuable.

Jason Kinley

Xenia, Ohio

I know that various instruments, etc can be prohibitively expensive. In my area for instance, there are some items that are on some trucks, but not on others. But whenever I hear a group of EMTs of any level (and I dont mean about those here) complaining about the expense of a potentially lifesaving instrument, gadget or tool, I inevitably wonder: Do they take it out of your pocket? It seems to me thta a service is not going to buy a bunch of equipment only to have to fire medics and basics so that they can buy still more. Heres a good equation: you have a good, valuable, lifesaving piece of equipment+it didnt come out of your paycheck= what do you care how much it costs? If your service buys the EASY I/O's and then starts asking you to make your own uniforms out of plastic wrap and duct tape, I would complain....until then...eh...

My question is this: I have only seen on video of the I/O being used and it was not a good quality video. If anyone knows where I can locate another, I would love to see this thing up close and personal. But what I wonder is, and with all sincerity, could a Basic be trained to use this device appropriately, safely and well or is this another piece of equipment kept under "lock and key" in the Medics bag of tricks. I have seen some reports, I believe from a service in Florida, that these are used a lot, many of them seem to be using the 90 second rule: no IV access in 90 seconds, I/O gets started. I had to take my mother to the ER last night and in the million hours we were there, I heard that the I/O was going to be used on a baby. I asked to be allowed to observe, but the doc said nope. But I did see it done from a rather significant distance and the baby didnt seem happy (though his response made me wonder if he had been sedated with something) but it seemed like a great option to have on hand. I would love to hear/see anything anyone has on this device. Thanks.

Both services I work for carry the EZ-IO. I'm personally not concerned with the cost, however I can see where cost is an issue for equipment, especially in rural areas. The bone drill is used on adults and children, and our protocols are written that we have two unsucessful IV attempts and the patient absolute has to have IV access for drugs or fluid, then we are able to start the IO. Jamshidi needles have been in use for years for pediatric IO's generally in a code situation.

In answer to the question on sedation, without IV access how would you sedate this baby before the IO was done? You could use nasal Versed and wait for it to work, or use the drill and have an unhappy baby with IV access for potentially life-saving medications. It is my understanding that the bone drill doesn't hurt any more then an IV. I wouldn't personally bank on that, however IV or IO, a still active baby will be ticked off.

At the risk of p***ing off every basic here, I do not believe that IO is a skill that basics should be allowed to perform. It requires very precise knowledge of anatomy, and has very little room for error, especially on a neonate or child. It has more contraindications then IV access. It's also a last ditch effort skill. I expected some one to ask that question, even though I know it's just going to open up another big, nasty can of worms.

No worm can opening here from this Basic. As I said, I am not entirely familiar with the use or complexity of this instrument, so I merely wondered if it could be a skill taught to Basics. What about Basics in states that allow them the extra certification to start IVs? Still no? thats ok. I just wondered if this was something that might be coming into further and wider use and whether or not it was easier than starting an IV line. Its cool with me if Basics arent qualified to use it. Even if they trained Basics to do pericardiocentesis, this is one Basic who would take a pass on that too. Thanks for you informed and honest opinion.

NREMT: Have you looked here?

http://www.vidacare.com/Products/index_4_29.html

There's a couple videos associated with the device there.

As for discomfort, it is less painful than a regular IV stick. I've seen video of the developer having one started on his own leg and he didn't even flinch while speaking.

Hope this helps.

-be safe

• 5 weeks later...

We are currently waiting for our EZ IO drills to come in but when the rep came in to show us them I was impressed to say the least. Many of the medics I work with say that now that they have that as an option they will definetly be less apprehensive about having to go IO when it truly is warranted. Should definetly be a good tool to be at ones disposal.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.