Needing a pep talk-re:clinicals and ride time

emtkelley

So I am going to admit something. I have been putting off clinicals and ride time. I know the material but am scared I am going to make a mistake and screw something up. I have promised myself I am going to start things up this weekend and am calling tomarrow on my day off to get scheduled.

I am afraid I will not be able to answer the questions that my preceptor will ask me. I am afraid I will fail. I'm not asking for comfort or for a pat on the head telling me it will be alright. I want to get some fight in me and feel like I can get in there and learn and do this. I want my paramedic so badly but can't shake this thing I am going to screw up. Any thoughts?

Of course you're going to screw up, you're a student.

Thats how we learn.

I highly doubt your preceptors are going to put you in a position where you are going to kill anyone.

And as far as knowing the answers to questions, you probably had to write a lot of written tests to get to where you are right?

It would be my guess you know the stuff, just keep calm and it will come to you.

So get in there and soldier on.

Thoughts? Yes, I have lots of thoughts!

If you weren't nervous about starting this, I'd be nervous. Nervousness is a good emotion to have when you're starting something new. It will keep you sharp, and really make you question what you're doing and why. It allows you to challenge yourself, and that is how you become more comfortable with what you're doing.

Please don't hold yourself back because you're afraid of feeling stupid or making a mistake. If at any time in your career, there is a time to mistakes, it is when you're a student. Your preceptor should be experienced enough to know when to step in and intervene, and when to let you try things and find out for yourself if it works or it doesn't.

For me, one of those "well try it and find out what happens" moments was for a narcotics overdose. After giving the standard dose of narcan IV, I elected to intubate the patient after administering the drug with no immediate signs of improvement. Big mistake. It wasn't a pleasant experience trying to deal with his return to consciousness with a tube down his throat and vomiting profusely.

You stated you want your paramedic cert so badly. If this is what you want, that should be enough of a desire to initiate the fight. You have a wealth of knowledge available to you here, just let us know what we can help you with.

Good luck, and see you on the streets!

peace

I think you are over rating your clinical preceptor. Most are not there to 'crucify" you and unfortunately could care less if you the sodium pump action versus calcium channel blocker potential functions.

Be confident, not cocky, do procedures that are normal, ask to be watched and ask if permission to do something new to be observed.

The time to screw up is on the clinicals not when you are by your self... they will not let you harm or kill anyone, it is their but as much yours.

If they "drill" you, thank them and tell them you will seek the answers (bring essential books) and return to them..... if you can't find it, be honest and tell them. They only ask it probably because the were "burned" themselves one time on the same thing.... so goes the tradition.

Chill out, be confident, keep ears, eyes, open pay attention.. be nice, but not to clingy or sucking up...

Good luck let us know how it goes.....

R/r 911

EMTKelly: You have been given good advice on the subject so far. It sounds like you got a problem with procrastination and a lack of confidence. The sooner you get yourself on the street (ride time ) the better off you will be. Let your preceptor hammer you if that makes them feel good about themselves. Look your preceptor in the eye. (to show you are not a push over) Mind your manners and DO THE BEST YOU CAN.

Somedic

For me, one of those "well try it and find out what happens" moments was for a narcotics overdose.

Hell, I made a narcotic overdose medication error just a month ago, with thirty years in the field. It happens to us all eventually. That is why we are ALL students, for the entirety of our careers. We're no different from you, Kelley.

It's all in your attitude and mindset. You seem to be looking at these situations as some sort of test or exam. They aren't. They are just more of the same education you have been doing so well at up til now. It's just a different classroom and a different instructor. That should be your attitude, and that should be your preceptor's attitude too.

Go for it! Good luck!

EMTKelly: There you have it! The rest is up to you. Let us know how things are going

I'm also interested in how your preceptor treats you.

Somedic

Hey-

Just got done with all my clinical rides last week and there is a couple things I can add if you are interested.

Tell the preceptor what level of training you are at and be comfortable to say that you would like to try all the things in your scope that the preceptor is willing to let you.

Bring money and DO NOT ask to borrow any! We had a girl in a class do this and it was over for her, that was not the only thing she did and on that note do not "borrow" a jacket from the EMS system, and not return it, then go around saying you work there :roll:

Have your tools that you will need, your pocket mask, shears, steth, black penS, penlight, namebadge, and WATCH!

Look professional and take pride in your appearance

Stay off the phone!

Don't just stand there during a call, there is always something you can be doing, if you don't know what to do ask.

Let your preceptor know where you are going, if you have to go to the bathroom, they do not need to know the details, just out of courtesy let them know and come right back.

Do not make up vital signs, if you can't hear it, you can't hear it, let them know.

You will make mistakes, you won't get every IV, and you may say something stupid, but most preceptors I have had know what it is like to be a student and do not hold the "greeness" against you.

Have fun and remember to breath!

Oh, yeah 2 more things that I was told the minute I got in the truck

WHAT GOES ON IN THE TRUCK STAYS IN THE TRUCK!

IF YOU SEE YOUR PRECEPTOR AND/OR HIS PARTNER RUNNING YOU BETTER BE RIGHT BESIDE THEM OR AHEAD OF THEM!

Now with that :lol: , go have fun, you will do just fine!

Jenn

Very good points...

We just had a student that would not stay of their phone, then when asked about wanting to go with another truck.. refused to!!...

So another call came in, and the patient had multiple dystrophy, retardation and was contracted and would flex at any touch.... the basic did not want to touch the patient, the medic informed them they would have to be aggressive, and be firmly to go ahead & put the cuff on the patient... the EMT still refused, and the medic obtained the v.s. .... the paramedic afterwards, talked to the EMT student privately and discussed how things can be difficult at times...etc.. ...

The next week, other students informs us that the student went back to class and told other students that the medic assaulted the patient and was forcefully aggressive and mean to the patient.

Now, we know the medic never did such... the student apparently was upset, because they were asked several times to participate in care.. etc. The shame of it is now, this student is now known by several medics and students... and probably will be known as such trouble maker. Foolish decision for the part of the student for his career.....

R/ r 911

First of all, relax. Unless your preceptors are burnt out dicks from hell, they'll remember they to were students once and remember that every paramedics is at all times a student and a teacher, it goes with the turf. Just try and make an honest effort and do your best, know as much as you can for where you are in your course, be respectful of your preceptor and remember that he or she is not making any more money that day for training you in your career. A couple of pointers that I could add.

Attire and equipment shouldn't even have to be mentioned. If you are serious student and are serious about your career, this shouldn't even be an issue.

Know when to ask questions. If your preceptor is giving orders, on phone with telemetry, interviewing a patient, or trying to concentrate on something delicate, asking a question right then and there is not a good idea. Write down your question if necessary and ask it later.

Cell phones. Again, use good judgement. Put it on silent or vibrate if its absolutely necessary for you to have.

Don't argue. There are a lot of points of contention in EMS, and when you are finished and pass all the tests, feel free to join in the spirited debates on any number of topics that we like to beat each other up about. Until then, remember, you're a student, you don't know as much as your preceptor does, you don't have to agree with him or her, but don't argue about it. I think arguing with your preceptor is in the top ten of major annoyances and frustrations.

Go the extra mile. Offer to do the jobs, like emptying the trash or cleaning equipment, no one else wants to do. Even if they decline your offer for assistance, it'll still show you're on the up and up.

Minor screw ups are tolerated. Liked Dustdevil said, we all make mistakes, no matter how many years we work. The other day I had an unstable hypotensive patient with a rapid atrial fibrillation. What were the first words out of my mouth? "Let's call for diltiazem." AHHHHNNNNT, WRONG, MORON! Now, I know you can't give a hypotensive patient diltiazem. I used it many times. I could recite to you the contraindications. For whatever reason, my brain just went on vacation for a couple seconds. My partner of course politely informed me that killing the patient is frowned upon, at which point I felt stupid and called telemetry for Amiodarone. I felt a little better when the telemetry doctor and first said diltiazem and then caught herself midsentence. It happens. However, be educated about what you're doing. Do something incredibly stupid, and you'll be looked upon as stupid.

Relax, take a deep breath, and go do it. Good luck!