ER Bound...

becksdad

Interesting discussion. I am happy that the ER Tech job is working out. The hospital is indeed a good environment to learn medicine. I think people really down play the fact that you actually get exposed to medicine across the life span and in many cases you are able to see the big picture and learn how health care as an animal functions. (From the field to discharge) In addition, I think allot of the RN versus EMT attitude is a little overdramatized. I think that general mutual respect exists and good nurses realize that this is indeed a team effort. I also like the fact that you have access to physicians, RT's, and other providers who can provide a multitude of information. I have come to respect the knowledge and abilities of a good RT. Even more so now that I am taking care of vented patients and making changes in the absence of a physician or RT.

Take care,

chbare.

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IreneRN_ED

There on the floor beacuse they can't cut it in the ED.

Blanket statement alert blanket statement alert

I have several nurse friends who work the floor. They worked in the ER and finally got tired of taking care of the ER patients and they wanted a break. I know for a fact they cut it in the ER.

Blanket statement alert blanket statement alert

I have several nurse friends who work the floor. They worked in the ER and finally got tired of taking care of the ER patients and they wanted a break. I know for a fact they cut it in the ER.

And as I have found several times blanket statements are almost always wrong.

I to have known several ER nurses just needed the break from the ER grind and moved to floor or surgery. Still great nurses, just new location. Now if they move to nursing home....................... :twisted: (cheap shot at itku2er)

IreneRN_ED

There on the floor beacuse they can't cut it in the ED.

And your an EMT who isn't qualified to say where a health professional can "cut it."

[sub:60dc8d264f]Hopefully someone gets this.[/sub:60dc8d264f]

• 1 month later...

Congrats! will make you a much more rounded person as a whole. Great way to see how both systems work and will without a doubt gain a lot of experience you will be able to take along and use in the future or when you decide to go back on the street.

I worked for in hospital and still do now and it has given me a whole new respect for the system as a whole. Much more respect for nursing staff and the physicians.

• 5 months later...

First of all, I'm glad to hear you say you are enjoying the job and learning alot. You are obviously choosing to apply yourself and take an amazing learning opportunity. Kudos to you for wanting to further your education like that. I too have worked within ER (a level 1 trauma) and loved every single minute of it. It was a very different atmosphere and I found the aspect of caring for 10 patients at a time as opposed to 1 maybe 2 put triage into a whole new category ! I got to experience things I would never get the opportunity to be a part of on the street working, and while I left the ER to return to active EMS I became a much stronger person for it as I'm sure you will be. You will have a much better understanding of how to help your patients prior to arrival, because you will know what will be going on once they get there and why they do what they do. I've also had the opportunity to be included in learning opportunities like you mention, with one doc in particular who was a former paramedic frequently grabbing me for something interesting and using it as a teaching moment. Amazing - enjoy it !

As to the person who made the comment about nurses turning to the floor because they can't cut it in the ER - that is complete and total B.S. Some of the neonate nurses I know could run circles around some ER nurses with their knowledge, burn nurses have an amazing understanding of the complexities of burn patients, and ICU nurses make me stand up and go wow with their ability to relate with patients. Remember everyone has to start somewhere just as you did. ICU allows nurses an amazing amount of freedom, those guys and gals definitely know their stuff. I think you need to expand your research beyond your own four walls perhaps to see the whole picture before placing judgement IMHO.

Be safe.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.