ER Bound...

becksdad

Well, it's official: I begin the new adventure on Monday as a Tech in the ER. I'm hoping to learn a lot, go back to school and have it paid for, etc. It will be interesting to learn the difference in the ER as opposed to the street. But, God I miss the street!! You know, its a lot of fun, really! But, hey, I expect I'll have fun inside the hospital, too. Anyway, wish me luck!!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good deal! I trust you to make the very most of this opportunity. There is so much to be gained and learned in this environment. The possibilities are limited only by your determination. I've seen too many medics go to ER work for years and years, yet never break out of the "Me EMT. Me no need know all that." mindset. Just like they were in the field, they are worthless slugs who don't care about anything unless it involves "skills." But, I digress.

Not only will you be exposed to a tremendous and continuous learning atmosphere, but you will have constant access to physicians, nurses, RTs and MTs, who are great sources of information to learn from. And you will notice that in the hospital, everybody is always in learning mode. The above professions recognise themselves as lifelong students, unlike most EMTs who come out of school convinced they know everything they will ever need to know. But again, I digress.

Good luck, Bro! :thumbright:

Well, it's official: I begin the new adventure on Monday as a Tech in the ER.

That's great! Are you in FL? If so maybe I will work and learn from you one day. Certainly something to think about if EMTB can do this too.

I wish you the best.

-Love, Light & Peace,

Terri

Dustdevil wrote: "Me EMT. Me no need know that".

Hahaha! No, Man! What I'm really excited about is that I have an opportunity to go in any direction I want in medicine! I can look 360 degrees around me, and everywhere I look, there's a door. That's pretty darn cool! So I'm sure you all will hear me talking about stuff I learn, and asking a million questions....

Hahaha! No, Man! What I'm really excited about is that I have an opportunity to go in any direction I want in medicine! I can look 360 degrees around me, and everywhere I look, there's a door. That's pretty darn cool!

Absolutely! That is what lead me into Respiratory Therapy. It didn't take me long to realise they were the sharpest people in the hospital, with the education most relevant to emergency and critical care. Heck, you may discover that microscopes and Petrie dishes are the coolest thing ever and decide to go off into microbiology. I've seen ER experience turn people both towards and away from medical school, so that can go either way for you. But the best thing it can do for you is to simply encourage you to be a better medic, and to bring your education and knowledge up to par with the other medical professions. Remember, working in the hospital, you become an ambassador for EMS. They will be watching you to see what you know and how you present yourself. And from your demeanour, they will decide what they think of the rest of us in EMS. You don't have to know everything to impress them. You just have to show them that you know what you do and do not know, and that you are eager to learn the rest. I don't recall ever working with an ER nurse who was not always eager to learn more. If you share that desire with them, then you will be respected and accepted as part of the team.

Hey, vivibonita - from what I know so far (and that is very little), a minimum requirement would be CNA for entry level. The job description I have states that cert. as EMT-B or EMT-I is strongly desired for positions above entry level. Which is amusing, because Florida doesn't recognize EMT-I! Maybe they haven't updated their job descriptions in a while....

I can tell you that any certifications you do have - EMT, BTLS, PALS, ACLS, etc. plus any years of experience can be used as negotiating points for the level you are hired at and the rate of pay.

Good luck Becksdad, I hope it turns out to be everything you want and expect it to be. I worked as a tech for a couple of years in atlanta before moving to Florida, it was a different but enjoyable, educational experience. The cool thing was having access to the Docs and such whenever I had questions... which was pretty much constantly :lol: Anyway Good luck!!!

Take care,

Todd

[Absolutely! Remember, working in the hospital, you become an ambassador for EMS. They will be watching you to see what you know and how you present yourself. And from your demeanour, they will decide what they think of the rest of us in EMS.

So for Gods' sake leave your teddy at home! (lol...those that don't know you think I'm talking about a bear)

Good luck buddy...It's a grande new adventure!!

Dwayne

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.