Lidocaine for PEA (EMD) or Aystole???

Firejeep3

If you have a pt with malignant PVCs that are caused by an underlying MI, and you give them lidocaine because you didn't do a 12 lead, hence not finding the MI, you have a good chance of causing conduction abnormalities, facilitating re-entry, and hence the outcome of possible VF.

Here is the point I was trying to make, the point that you didn't grasp. If you numb (blunt) the conduction of an already ischemic myocardium, you will do more harm then good!

Not really sure where you get that from. When you have malignant PVCs (coming close to the T-wave, short runs of non-sustained v-tach) that's your risk for the life-threatening v-tach/v-fib. And those should be treated with lidocaine, whether there is an MI going on or not. 12 lead will not affect your decision to give lidocaine in the setting of malignant PVCs.

I think this thread has run its useful course.

'zilla

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Firefighter90210: Yep you are really proving yourself here (to be an ass fairy).

I might not have the wit ,wisdom, karma , or charisma as you but I did read all your previous posts and my point is this: Instead of being a bitch and running to tell on this instructor...You should have approached him like a man and cleared this all up. You may have saved some lives and careers by being brave just one time in your pink, cafe latte, feminine world.

With every best wish

Somedic

If you numb (blunt) the conduction of an already ischemic myocardium, you will do more harm then good! I rarely google on this site, of course we ALL do, even you, MR perfect!!

okay, noob time!

I thought one of the properties of lignocaine was its poor affinity for depolarised ctissues - so wouldn't that preclude its action on otherwise dead or ischamic myocardial cells?

FF523 yopu need to chill out man, just be cool and work with the information, not with the attitude and everything will be sweet

think positive waves