At this rate, there'll soon be no need for EMS

Michael

Amazing huh?

When we lived in CA that was the rule...I was floored..I thought they were kidding! Most autistic kids will only play chase games with other kids (the reason is unclear). Having an autistic son, one of my main goals in life is to teach him to enjoy the company of other people (not like Dust, and asys...I mean normal people)...and they took that option away. I finaly had to go through the school board and offer to build a small fenced area for the special needs kids to play, before they gave in. (They ultimately set aside a small grassy area for this purpose.)

If I remeber correctly, no chasing (running by yourself, off the concrete was ok), no balls on the concrete (where the basketball hoops were) it seems like there was something about the swings....but I can't remember now....Pretty crazy!

Thank Goodness I'm in CO now....Though they think those rules were pretty funny...the liberal crap that starts in CA has a way of finding it's way everywhere....(I'm not anti-CA, It showed me a good living for several years...not a big liberal fan though)

Bottom line...when they start to take the "adventure" from your kids childhood, they will finish if you don't knock some pee pees in the dirt!

Dwayne

Oh Brother!

Yet another situation in which we are trying to sanitize our childrens' existence to the point that we don't let them be kids anymore! At this rate, in 20 years we will sending the children out to play one at a time, with a trained EMS person to watch them at all times, in hazmat suits, etc!

It really irritates me that children are not allowed to make mistakes that might cause minor injuries - it is the consequences of these mistakes that teach them not to do it later in life when the consequences are usually MUCH more serious! One accident on any kind of playsite results in liability lawsuit; recalling or outlawing certain types of games and equipment, and the removal of an activity that we enjoyed, and more importantly, survived, when we were kids.

Yes, the world is a slightly different place than it was then. Yes, there are hazards that did not even exist even then. But playing tag? Gimme a break!

touch football? alright, I can understand... but tag?? oh please. And, if you really want it to be supervised, then supervise it. ... I doubt it would be that difficult... shouldn't teachers be watching kids during recess anyway?

...if these kids aren't allowed to run around, they wont be as physically active. They'll contribute to the already growing number of overweight and unhealthy children in America.

:roll: I am responsible for the banning of Marco Polo at my school after I ran into a fence in grade 6 and cut my head open....

...but we were still allowed to play tag. :lol:

:roll: I am responsible for the banning of Marco Polo at my school after I ran into a fence in grade 6 and cut my head open....

...but we were still allowed to play tag. :lol:

Isn't that a pool game, or am I missing something here?

nobody told me it was a water game at the time....

I thought it was a land game, and I learned why it isn't.

LMAO!! :D

Back in my day, they yelled at you if you did NOT run on the playground! :?

LMAO!! :D

Back in my day, they yelled at you if you did NOT run on the playground! :?

The healthy young of mammals usually need a lot of exercise...usually through play/competition/chase/playfighting...it's totally natural and even necessary, I believe. Kids aren't going to run around the yard if there's no games to play

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.