At this rate, there'll soon be no need for EMS

Michael

I've worked at a few elementary schools and two of them had no-running on the playground rules. I was amazed since that's what I thought playgrounds were for. Everyone's worried about liability...how far can it go . . .

I have worked at elementary schools for 26 years, and I have NEVER heard of a school with a "no running" policy on the playground! I would refuse to work there or send my kids there. Kids need to run, and the playground is the place to do it. Hey - lets play baseball, but you have to hit the ball out onto the road to get anywhere, because you have to walk to first base!

The liability issues in Canada are bad enough, but in the States, where lawsuits are more common than tracksuits, I would have a great deal of trouble doing anything at all in the public service. The stifling rules and regulations would make it nearly impossible to do the job the way I feel it needs to be done.

I wrote tham an e-mail telling them they were opening themselves up to for liability in making kids fat. If McDonalds can be sued for making you fat when you give them money to get the Big-Mac, then certainly some Broom Hilda can be sued for keeping kids from exercising.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.