Redefine "BLS before ALS"

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timmy,

Well I was mainly talking about the services in Victoria. I don’t really know about services outside of Vic. As far as I know both Rural Ambulance and Metro Ambulance only have ASL or MICA Paramedics. I've never come across a volley paramedic. There’s a CERT team near were I live but I don’t think they've ever been call out.

I agree when you say St John should NEVER be a 000 provider. We shouldn’t even be at most events my division covers!

I wasn’t bagging out ANSW but I live on the border of VIC & NSW. We called them to one of our duty’s. Out jumps this young guy and an older chap. Young guy didn’t look much older than 19 and the older bloke looked like his dad. This young bloke has a white billabong hat on, blue overalls, and white globe shoes :roll: He then makes the patient move from our stretcher to there’s with out any pain relief. Let my remind you this person had multiple fractures to there L tib/fib, Pain 10/10. I’m sure that most ANSW medics are more professional than that, but this was just my first taste and impression of ANSW. But I don’t think it necessary that they dress like this just because they live in a rural area, the older bloke was in perfect uniform.

Well come on mate, you did just rip on his service.

If i were to apply the same way of thinking you did, id have to say you are a crap first aider cause ive seen a few bad Jacks in the last couple of years

As others have mentioned, I think the statement comes down to if you can't achieve something at the ALS level (ie intubation, starting an IV, etc) for whatever reason, don't forget the BLS skills you have as a back up. Some medics if they can't get the intubation, stand there like what do I do now? Bag 'em or use an alternative airway, granted it's not as good as an ET, but better than no O2 for sure. I think most medics (least I do) start on the BLS level, then progress up as needed except in certain circumstances such as codes. If a call is BLS, I'll treat it as BLS, if it turns ALS, then I adjust as needed. Truthfully most calls most of us run can be handled with GOOD BLS treatment. I think everyone has their place in the EMS system, and the basic is not just the medic's stretcher fetcher (and I despise medics that treat their basics as such). I know of good basics I would rather have treat me than some crappy medics in the area that are cocky, but no skills to back it up. Let's not get into a pissing match with ALS vs BLS as they all have their place. Stay safe out there !

Yeah, and I have basic skills like tying my shoe laces and brushing my teeth. No one makes a T-shirt about doing that, although with some EMT's I have met, dental hygiene should be reinforced about as much as basic skills should.

Hey, I have a certificate on my wall, certified shoe tier and tooth brusher. I ordered a t-shirt even. Certified tooth brushers save EMT's! I'm very proud of it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.