Still searching for old E.M.S. stuff

ptfd121

Hi guys, and gal

emtkelly, I'm glad you like the display, I think the shirt made it! Dustdevil,The dynamed boxes I have are orange and blue. I got one of each. Alpha, The Pneolator I bought at the fire muster this summer. I had to pay $40.00 for it but it had all of it's parts and was like new. I'd like to find a E&J Rescusitator to add to the display. When I bought one of the Dynamed boxes, it was full of stuff. I found 2 ring cutters and one of those old plastic jaw screws! I had the jaw screw displayed on the table with the cardboard foldouts. I got some of the old Philli collars in the truck. I picked up some kind of head immobilizer that went with the Philli. It attatched to it and strapped around the patient's head. That's kinda funky. The Thumper was a big hit also. I filled up the squads O2 tank and used the thumper on the departments ALS manikin. It scared the bujesus out of a bunch of little kids.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember how totally blown away we were by the Lifepak 5s when they came out around 1976. They were so light and compact. Now we're back to carrying huge, worthless pieces of crap again (coughlifepak12coughcough). Funny how things come full circle.

We have the LP 12 also, it weighs a ton. We are thinking of swithching to the new Phillips monitor. It's really nice and weighs a couple of pounds less than the LP-12 but is still heavy. My chief remebers when the LP5s came out. He said they were using the old LP 4 and couldn't wait to get their new LP 5.

Old CPR Annie's used to be inflatable.. I remember carrying the big old green suitcase box that she fit in and when you opened it, her arm or leg would naturally pop out..!... That would get the class attention.

Epi pre-load used to intra cardiac needles on them .... didn't know what a short needle was for years.

Remember "visibars" the two separate beacon lights with the siren in the middle, most started calling the long rectangle ones those but the original were the two separate lights. As well as Mars bars... strips of color mounted in the lenses, and Kojack lights?

Yeah, we used Planos 747 and 727 tackle boxes before they caught on and colored them orange and started charging double the price.

I remember when in ER we used to have to "ground" the defibrillator (it was a separate device, before we shocked someone. ALl oscilloscope were the "bouncing" ball... can you imagine medics trying to underpart those now?

I remember the MRD2 ?.. The prototype of the fast patch.... yes, folks there was not always such. You connected and pushed 2 buttons simultaneously... problem is Physio voided your warranty when you used them.

Then the portable external pacer... yes, before LP5 had pacer, we had a little box about 3' that had a 9 volt battery that connected to pads and would pace the patient. Worked great! for such a little device.

As well as a stylus on the print out... hated when those things burned out, always at the most opportune time. Now a days most medics never heard of such.

Awww.. these kiddos has such luxury these days...

I just sold an E&J (Erickson & Johnstone) Resuscitator, one of the Lytport models.. In fact, it was exactly the same as they used in The Townsend Act of Emergency. I bought it from an old Civil Defense cache in Henry County, Illinois. I bought two new D cylinders for it, got new masks (the rubber part) made custom from a props shop in Southern California.. I had it inspected at a welding shop, since all the valves were made by Robert Shaw Co., they knew what to look for, as far as flaws or wear. I used it as my resuscitator and suction for seven years, it weighed about thirty-five pounds, so after I managed a hernia on a call, I stopped using it.

I'm one of those people that think old stuff is cool.. So I carried my personal EMT junk around in one of those wooden first aid boxes, and used the E&J box for all the oxygen needs. It's not like it didn't work either, it was great, just like any demand valve you would buy. I replaced the whole outfit with one of those Pro 3.0 pouches from Atwater Carey, nice little kit.

If you want a nice E&J, shoot for a Lytport 1. We used to have one in the firehouse on an old truck, it was under the hose bed, as if someone hid it there. (they probably did)

oh jeez.......

when i go to work tomorrow im gonna rip open the back door on the bus, open that big orange Plano 747 tackle box and do a truck check...

Then, im gonna grab the Oxyviva 3 that is like 25 years old, weighs a ton and made of stainless steel and check it over

Then i will check those 2 Lifepak 5's, and the half dozen or so Lifepak 300's we have

All of this stored of course in a few 1988/89 F250 with the big V8 that hauls ass, the onboard suction runs of the manifold pressure and it still has the jordan frame racks on the cieling

When i figure out the image hosting thing ill throw some pics up.

I swear i was born in the wrong decade - i wait for the day i can get my hands on a couple of plano 747 box's to put my fishing and modell making gear in, lifepak 5's and 10's as far as im concerned are sweet and i wanna rebuild a 42' model willyz jeep, i think that the old 6x6 studebaker trucks are a good drive (the one i was in had "US Army Lend Lease" written under the bonnet)

WOW! im living in the twilight zone!

I'd ike to see pictures of that stuff. I was searching around the firehouse today looking for an old LifePak 5 battery I thought we had lying around, but it must have been thrown out. It was one of those old batteries that actually had "LifePak 5" writen on the top in orange letters. I wish people would stop throwing those goodies away so I could put them in my display.

The EMS academy out at Fort Totten has a small 'museum" of sorts with equipment from EMS from all sorts of periods, from Lifepak 5's, to old METAL opa's, to some pictures of the ambulance wagons from the 1800's. Some really interesting stuff there.

My favorite is an article written by a female ambulance worker, talking about "Treating intoxicated people in the Bowery, having to deal with the filth and trash and having rocks thrown occasionally." The funny thing was she was writing from 1896. My, how times have changed, right?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.