How not to learn emergency medicine

Michael

Well, it's good to know that the constricting bandage has gone the way of shared body heat for hypothermia.

/me remembers both from Boy Scouts.

//The "skin to your skippies" hypothermia treatment was changed before I left.

OK kids. lets lay off the IL FF comments. I have worked with countless IL firefighters who are among the best I have ever known.

As for treating snakebite...at the BLS level when I took my EMT course we were told to ice the site of envenomation, treat for shock and rapid transport with possible ALS intercept depending on the distance of transport.

I would be interested to hear what others have to say about snakebite/animal envenomation protocol.

As for treating snakebite...at the BLS level when I took my EMT course we were told to ice the site of envenomation, treat for shock and rapid transport with possible ALS intercept depending on the distance of transport.

I would be interested to hear what others have to say about snakebite/animal envenomation protocol.

Poison control is your friend.

Ice to the site worsens the problem by focusing the venom at the site. Save a life, sacrifice a limb, not recommended by most. For BLS providers, keeping the site below the level of the heart, clearly marking the progression of edema, vital sign support as allowed, and ALS intercept.

Once ALS is involved, pain relief, further vital sign support as needed, and transport. Some ALS providers are allowed to use antivenin, but this is a pretty rare situation.

Plan A - Urgent medevac to Balad or Baghdad.

Plan B - Urgent delivery of antivenin from Balad or Baghdad.

Plan C - Prepare a body bag.

NREMT-B, AZCEP is absolutely correct in the treatment of snakebites. Cold therapy should never be used in snakebites or other venomous bites as the same is said for the use of tourniquets. Hopefully, your Instructor didn't teach you to make an incision and suck the venom out too!

Dust, I'm sure with the type of slithering critters ya'll are having to deal with, the 3 treatments you listed were dead on( pun intended).

Take care,

Todd

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.