Illinois and NREMT Testing

Ok, first I will start off with my rant. This kind of crap irritates the hell out of me. The gist of the story is they want testing in IL to be geared more towards care that would be provided in IL only. For example, they state that their students do not need to know or be tested on such irelevant things as snake bites or scorpion stings. They are losing way too many people due to their inability to pass this very difficult test due to such hard questions as these. Really now, how many questions on the exam pertained to this type of stuff? Not very many. The bulk of the test is VERY relevant as it is medical care in general. I will point out the main supporters of this intiative is the "FIRE UNION" who "should have been involved from the get go".

I say the testing should stand. What is the harm in answering maybe 1 or 2 questions about envenomation? You mean no one has these creatures as pets in IL? Are there no reptile shows or pet stores that carry these things? In my opinion, this is an attempt for the FD to seize control of the certification process, create a dumbed down version of a state test and ensure they have a steady supply of ignorant EMTs for years to come.

........................ ......... ................... ................

Addressing EMT certification deserves priority

By the Pantagraph Editorial Board

When we dial 9-1-1 in a medical emergency, we want to know someone will be there to help — someone who is properly trained.

But when the certification process becomes so cumbersome that it reduces the supply of trained emergency medical personnel, without improving necessary skills, a change is needed.

The state is finally getting around to addressing the matter and involving the Illinois Fire Chiefs Association — which said it had been excluded from the process for two years. The chiefs should have been part of the process from the beginning.

Among the problems is the national certification test required by the Illinois Department of Public Health for emergency medical technicians.

The national test includes material irrelevant to Illinois and has testing locations that are not always convenient. Critics say the national process is more costly and lacks flexibility to meet the needs of many departments and agencies.

At this point, many larger departments — including the Bloomington Fire Department — require applicants to be certified emergency medical technicians before they are hired. For the eligibility list Bloomington is putting together for its next round of hiring, applicants will need to be certified paramedics.

But in smaller communities, especially those with volunteer rescue squads, the certification process is an even larger issue. At least five emergency medical service agencies in Illinois have had to reduce service because of the inability to put new EMTs on the job. Farmer City is one of the affected communities, according to the Illinois Fire Chiefs Association.

The process of becoming an emergency medical technician is difficult enough without additional barriers. The certification test should be tailored to the needs of Illinois, rather than covering every conceivable situation that could be encountered nationwide, from scorpion stings to coral snake bites.

Bloomington Fire Chief Keith Ranney said Illinois is required to have a state test.

The chiefs’ association is not trying to “dumb down” the test, he said. Rather, the group is trying to “satisfy the logistics of getting this in place.”

For the sake of would-be emergency medical technicians — and especially for the sake of those relying on the availability of EMTs in an emergency — we urge the state and all the other players in this issue to resolve the situation swiftly and not leave it simmering on the back burner.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thoght it was basically describing that his acknowledgement that his firfighters was too stupid to pas teh the test. Excuses, aare not valid. Again, the real motives of Fire Service are beginning to peak its ugly head out... "We want control, but not play by the same rules"... (not all F.D." but many!)

You are right, every one should be educated on the same level (duh! that is why it is called a curriculum!).... does this mean the moment they leave that area they are no longer an EMT's? .. it should. Anyone, not know the simple procedures of scorpion stings, and snake bites is silly... even Boy Scouts are taught this in First-Aid... Hey there's a thought for him.. let the Troop teach his firefighters .. yet again it might be to-in-depth,, but maybe they can water it down for them... and it would be cheap too...

R/r 911

The story in the pantagraph was paraphrased poorly. There are many issues at hand here and the fire service is getting EMS because the ambulance companies are closing. I'm curious as to the status of the EMT-I curriculum in your areas. Does it still exist, and if it does is there a threat of it's demise within the next couple of years. We have EMT-I's across our region that are being made to start their education over from the basic level if they would like to become paramedics. I would appreciate your information from your region.

I'm with you, AK. Any attempt to lower any standard is just plain bad for our profession. We should be promoting and bettering ourselves, not diluting the requirements necessary to license. If anything, I would like to see curriculums expanded, not degraded. But how do we accomplish this when everything everywhere seems to address the lowest denominator?

I know I am in the minority here but has it ever been proven anywhere that bringing in the National Registry has improved the overall quality of care in a given state?

I know when they came to our state years ago the initial fail rate was horrid. Only after the instructors learned how to teach their students to pass the test did it improve. However all they did was teach people how to pass a test, it did not improve the overall quality of EMS in our state.

I understand the N.R. from a uniformity issue and I certainly understand where the N.R. helps when people need to move from state to state.

However I've not seen where the N.R. helps make better medics.

Also I am of the mind that to take a test you should not be required to go 800 miles away to take the nearest site available to you, which has often happened in our area.

Honestly I think if the state is going to mandate you take this to obtain a certification with them then they ought to be forced to provide a test site quarterly in a central location, but that's just me.

The NREMT Basic written can now be taken per computer, so there is no excuse. As far as NREMT improving.. no, I don't believe there is any, however anyone should be able to pass this test if they were taught the NHSTA curriculum and AHA guidelines, in which it is based upon.

R/r 911

"Hello, my name is __________. I passed the dumbed down state EMT-B test with a 71%. I'm going to be strapping you down to this board and you will be at my mercy for the 15 minute ride to the hospital. Hopefully you don't have any serious internal injuries that I am unaware of, because I would have no idea how to deal with them or detect them. Are you ready to go now? Cool, I like the sounds of sirens as it makes me feel important."

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.