I am moving to the UK but..............

Oye Zipper: What is an event EMS Bod? Is that like a wheel chair coach driver (geriatric transport)? Why would you need to be a male nurse to do that. I love Brit terminology and I am always entertained when in the UK.

Cheers!

Event EMS - mainly doing event work ... like V festival, London Marathon , Concerts etc.

Ambulance attendant - 'EMT' has no real meaning in the UK and the 'ambulance technciian' title is meant to be for those who have done the IHCD course, the supervised probation and passed the final assessments and got their 'millar badge' - this was unti lvery recently a 'closed shop' for NHS Ambulance service employees and while it's a good respected and respectable qualification, it's irrelevant for somethign who has a registerable Health Professional qualification

as for being an RN - SJA rules in the UK require Registered Health Professionals as supervisors on larger duties ( tied in with event licensing ) and to have oversight roles within training , the event licensing guide requires certain levels of EMS provision including RNs and Doctors for events, as well as various National governing bodies for sporting events requiring Doctor,s Nurses and Paramedics for competitors / participants. For instance a recent large concert in Leeds, W Yorkshire had a gate of somethign like 70, 000 people and we had 4 ambulances ( 2 NHS, 2 SJA ) 4 treatment bases, 5 Doctors ( at least 2 COnsultant / DipIMC / MIMMS provider at any time), 8 Nurses, 8 Paramedics, 8 techs / ambulance attendants 50 or so 'first aid' and support personnel (ranging from 'bog standard first aiders, to ambulance attendant grades including a slack handful of senior medical and Nursing students as well as some comms technical types, dispatchers and logsitics people)

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Over here in my area nurses are out of their operating element in anything but a hospital.

I plan for events such as concerts for my department. I find it interesting that there are actually event stand by EMS staff. We nearly have to alter daily normal operations to cover larger events and involve multiple agencies?

Cheers!

Over here in my area nurses are out of their operating element in anything but a hospital.

well anyone is without the skills, knowledge and experience to do a job in particualr kind of setting - a lot ofthe health professionals in SJA have come up through the youth side, been a first aider or even ambulance crew before becoming a Health Professional ...

I plan for events such as concerts for my department. I find it interesting that there are actually event stand by EMS staff. We nearly have to alter daily normal operations to cover larger events and involve multiple agencies?

Cheers!

Bread and butter for St john and the British red cross, our involvement in 999 work is pretty much an extra ( peak periods etc ) and some NHS serivces don't do eventsat all leavign it for privates or the voluntary sector others do do events as an addon - some run it as a side line business

Zippy: Thats interesting to me. Im planning coverage for a major national sporting event in our area. I wish there were contract EMS event companies to use but its my lot to have to plan this with my department only for now.

A lot of us NHS medical staff work privately in our spare time to cover events. This is a good way for private companies to utilise highly skilled staff that they would never otherwise have had access to. Some of us get to travel worldwide covering large sporting events like the World Rally Championship as medics for specific teams who are willing to pay for quality, experienced staff.

Zippy: Thats interesting to me. Im planning coverage for a major national sporting event in our area. I wish there were contract EMS event companies to use but its my lot to have to plan this with my department only for now.

maybe it's an area to look at for your agency or even as a business for yourself and ssome of your coworkers or if you wuz real nice and charitable like set up a voluntary agency and fundraise in your locality to enable you to cover 'community' events at cost or even below cost if you have good charitable income and then top up income by charging a competitive price for 'commercial' events

there's two models really to consider - core staffing doing mainly the admin and command roles and casual employees of all grades to work at the events ( from first aider,sthrough first responders, basics, intermediates, Paramedics, RNs , NP/ PA/CRNA and emergency / intensivist Doc plus logistics and comms staff) - runs as a business get some vehicles sub contract or dry hire others

or

all volunteer with kit and vehicles funded from charitable giving ( pay back cheap(er) cover for community events) and from cover for 'commercial' events - where often the biggest overheads will be running the office and paying the insurance

How about malpratice insurance? ever heard of that requirement in the UK? It all sounds good but I'd have to sell this idea to each EMS system that would have to allow an unknown Event EMS team to come in to their territory practicing EMS.

Zippy: If I had heard of a new EMS coverage team coming in to our town to cover an event, I'd scrutinize them completely. My department carries the mandate to be responsible for and provide EMS for all patients in our county. My boss would be skeptical of a load of emts, RNs, MDs PAs, etc showing up in our town to run event EMS.

I think you have a good idea but it is not very practical for this area. You have given some good info though.

SOMEDIC

How about malpratice insurance? ever heard of that requirement in the UK? It all sounds good but I'd have to sell this idea to each EMS system that would have to allow an unknown Event EMS team to come in to their territory practicing EMS.

yep - like i said for volunteer providers one of the biggest overheads for the organisation is providing the appropriate level of cover for staff

an enclosed private event doesn't necessarily have to becovered by the statutory provider - infact in the UK one of the requirements for event licencing by the local authorities ( city / metro district or County) is to demonstrate adequate EMS and other safety and security measures ( including fire fighting and police/ security) are in place as not to diminish the cover offered to the locality by the general tax / local tax funded services

Zippy: If I had heard of a new EMS coverage team coming in to our town to cover an event, I'd scrutinize them completely. My department carries the mandate to be responsible for and provide EMS for all patients in our county. My boss would be skeptical of a load of emts, RNs, MDs PAs, etc showing up in our town to run event EMS.

I think you have a good idea but it is not very practical for this area. You have given some good info though.

SOMEDIC

depends o nthe exact situation with responsibility - the Uk event safety guide places the responsibility for safety within an event on the organisers - if the risk assesmsent says thisevent will generate a lot of extra work ( e.g. a music festival with a on site popualtion of 100, 000 people in a rural area) then you have to provide a lot of cover including treatment centres on site with resus trolley spaces and other ED type facilities )- where a small event in an urban area ( say 5- 10 000 people at a concert or a small sports event e.g. local teams in lower divisions of leagues or high school teams) you might only need half a dozen first aiders, an Ops officer and an ambulance or two

("scott33

Don't believe me? Try typing the likes of [i)

"ambulance fail to meet targets", or a variation of the same, into Google and see what comes back...nothing but UK stuff.

Don't worry about Zippies, they are curious creatures you may encounter in the UK (real name comes from the Latin Gobbus Shiteus) fiercely territorial apparently... just give as good as you get :wink:

The targets which are always quoted are specifically response time targets, known as ORCON. There is still no formal listing or reporting of patient treatment or outcomes.

Please don't think all UK ambulance personel are like zippy. He knows which buttons to press.

Stretcher monkey: Everything is sorted here. I travel to the UK often and I know that most all of you Ive met or will meet are good blokes despite the occasional witty comments Id expect from any well raised British person. ZippyRN is doing well for now.

Cheers!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.