for the English Teachers out there

Just Plain Ruff

Found this quote from a friends email signature -

~This email is a natural hand made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar

enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.~

I thought it kind of encompasses everyone's post styles at one time or another.

I'm alright with variations in grammar, as long as it coherent. But, when I have to determine if the language is english, german or yiddish prior to trying to read it, we have a problem.

This a professional forum. Coherent communication should be the standard.

Proper grammar and professionalism would dictate that your sentence should have read as such:

1. We will let the contractions stand as they have become acceptable in formal and informal writings.

2. "As long as it coherent" is unacceptable. You are referring to a plural, so say as long as they are coherent, referring to the variations.

3. Use however in this instance, not but.....However, when I have to determine..blah blah blah

4. Do not say "determine if" because they will be one or another, so you need to say "determine whether or" since you are referring to choosing from several.

5. Capitalize names of languages please. English, German or Yiddish

6. Instead of saying "prior to trying to read it" you should say "prior to reading them" as the them is necessary since you are referring to "variations in grammar" which is plural.

7. I have a problem, not we. You can not use a singular reference twice and then in the final statement change it to "we".

In closing, the post should resemble this when utilizing proper grammar.

I am all right with variations in grammar, as long as they are coherent. However, when I have to determine whether the language is English, German or Yiddish prior to reading them, I have a problem. This is a professional forum, coherent communication should be the standard.

Proper grammar and professionalism would [Why the subjunctive would? Delete it.] dictate that your sentence should have read [Delete redundant phrase as such.] as such:

1. We will [shall] let the contractions stand [insert comma.] as they have become acceptable in formal and informal writings [Delete s.].

2. "As long as it coherent" is unacceptable. You are referring to a plural, so say [The following six words should be italicized.] as long as they are coherent, referring to the variations.

3. Use [italicize the following word.] however in this instance, not [italicize the following word.] but..... [Replace the ellipsis by a colon, insert a space, and italicize what follows.] However, when I have to determine.. [Two successive periods mean nothing in English; add at least one, followed by a space.] blah [comma] blah [comma] blah

4. Do not say "determine if [insert comma.]" because they will be [either] one or another, so you need to say "determine whether or [insert comma, and either delete or, or insert not.]" since you are referring to choosing from [i would say among, but you're the boss]several.

5. Capitalize names of languages [insert comma, please] please. English, German [AMA Handbook of Style requires a serial comma here.] or Yiddish

6. Instead of saying "prior to trying to read it [insert comma.]" you should say "prior to reading them [insert comma.]" as the [italicize the next word.] them is necessary [insert comma.]since you are referring to "variations in grammar [Replace quotation marks by italics, and insert comma.]" which is plural. [Fix run-on sentence.]

7. I have a problem, not we. [s/b I, not we, have a problem.] You can not [cannot is one word, but what you mean here is may not.] use a singular reference [s/b referent] twice [insert comma.] and then in the final statement change it to "we". [Period goes before quotation mark.]

[Terminate either all or none of your numbered points by periods.]

In closing, the post should resemble this when utilizing proper grammar.

I am all right with variations in grammar, as long as they are coherent. However, when I have to determine whether the language is English, German or Yiddish prior to reading them, I have a problem. This is a professional forum, [This error is called a comma splice; the comma should be replaced by a semi-colon or a period.] coherent communication should be the standard.

No, no, don't thank me! We do it because we love you.

I love you man.

Its great to be humbled often.

My last English class was 4 years ago and I was pulling from memory, no online sources. Thank you again.

As a side note, I was trying to be a sarcastic ass cause I am in a mood and it felt good....

Man, its great to be an American and speak any old way which we like...if it aint a word, use it enough and it will be...long live the Queen...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.