Heroic ER Physician

GhostMedic28

Just thought you guys would like to know.

On Friday September 22, 2006 my unit was dispatched to a MVA (head-on) with entrapment. Our reponse time from notification to arriving on scene was under 4 minutes. I am pleased to announce that a local emergency physician who lives near the accident scene was the first medical personnel on scene prior to the arrival of my EMS unit.

The physician's name is Dr. Lance K. Dyess of Elba, Alabama. Dr. Dyess, responded to the scene and without any regards for his own personal safety, heroically extriacted one of the patient's from the vehicle while it was on fire. Approximately 2 minutes after Dr. Dyess, removed the patient, the vehicle became fully-involved.

I as an EMS professional want to give Dr. Dyess a pat on the back for a job well done. I have also contacted the Governor's Office to inquire about having Dr. Dyess recgonized for his actions that saved the life of a local resident. I have also contacted my EMS Chief about presenting Dr. Dyess with my departments highest award, the Medal of Valor.

Wow, a doctor on scene who actually did something that benefited the situation? What is this, crazy day? I feel like I'm losing my mind! Next thing you'll tell me someone introduced themselves as a nurse on scene and then offered real, helpful advice! Stop the room, I wanna get off!

Good job, doc.

Just an idea here but a set of "scrubs" made out of Protex or Nomex may be a good joke gift for your MD.... sometimes a reward from like minded professionals goes way further than a an award from a government official.

If you need a lead to where to get some of this kind of "stuff" I have link (contact pm) my contact just shakes his head when I ask for "special requests" like this, and I love the look on his face when I ask for specialty items..... like 5 bars on eplilets....te he.

You know MDs and RNs get a bad rep for attempting to assist at "outside" calls, I can honestly say that I have never had a negative interaction, in fact most cases the good samaritans walk away with an improved understanding of what it is like in the field....

Kudos Doc, and welcome to the "Glad to be Alive Crowd"

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.