Final exam question on heart monitor

mobey

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I apologise if I seem to have contradicted myself, it's just I'm not very ... shall we say ... proficient or articulate with what I'm actually thinking.

Anyways, what I should have said is that the reason given in the question/answer is not why I would personally apply the monitor in this instance, however I do believe it to be the reason your instructor wants to hear.

I'm not sure which Province you're in, but if it's Ontario, the AEMCA has these sort of questions on it. It's a matter of giving them what they want to hear, so to speak. Again, I don't agree with that at all, but when programs and tests are develloped by individuals, those biases play through.

And since chbare touched on it, those, plus your typical "Becks Triad" of signs and symptoms, should lead you to a higher degree of suspicion of cardiac tamponade for this patient. But I'm still curious ... do you actually find out why the MVA occured? Was it the patients fault or the other driver? Medical condition basis or purely being in the wrong place at the wrong time?

Clear as mud? :D

In the real world, being 80+ years old automatically gets you a complimentary EKG in my book. However, since this guy is LOC with a possible head injury, he would get an EKG whether he had A-fib or not.

Thanx for all your imputs!!!

We never find out why this hapeded they are just testing our thought processes, YES this is a stupid question and if I get it wrong the appropriate people will be getting an e-mail. Your probably right the correct answer, and what the instructor wants to hear are 2 different things, but that should not be the case in EMS. There is only 1 answer and thats the right one. The guy gets an EKG - irreg pulse or not.

Now, if I were a Medic and not just an EMT

He's getting one based A LOT on MOI (Bruised Sternum with pain on palpation, potential for cardiac injury. Looks as if he hit that wheel pretty hard if it was bent.) and maybe (very) little based on PMH ( and what if you couldn't determine PMH? PMH would be a moot point then.). Besides...What harm is there in doing one? huh? huh? It's a tool. use it to your advantage.

and what were the other choices for answers to the original question?

emtd29, I feel I must disagree with your rational for why he gets an ECG in this instance.

His PMH may have A LOT to do with why he was involved in this mva, cardiac history, could equate to lack of cardiac output therefore a syncopal episode. So I really don't think that it's moot point. Who knows ... but again, you HAVE to consider everything when it comes to these older chaps.

peace