• Its a good idea and more people should use it
    • I would use it but i dont know enough about research
    • Theres not enough research into it
    • Whats evidence based practice?
    • Its a good idea but its far to hard to implement
    • I dont care - some one else write my protocols for me
    • Its an excuse for cost cutting by management
    • Expert opinion and clinical decision making is a better option

Evidence base medicine, is essential in patient care we need to know, why, how, and what is being performed in treating or patients. As well, one needs to know the theory and have an understanding of research as well. One cannot read a study, and presume it is always accurate and fairly representative, and should look at several factors in the research such as population, statistical data, and type of research method used.

R/r 911

Evidence base medicine, is essential in patient care we need to know, why, how, and what is being performed in treating or patients. As well, one needs to know the theory and have an understanding of research as well. One cannot read a study, and presume it is always accurate and fairly representative, and should look at several factors in the research such as population, statistical data, and type of research method used.

R/r 911

ABSOLUTELY

UNEQUIVOCALLY

UNCONTESTED IN AGREEMENT.

All research requires a critical eye!

statistics can be manipulated and the research and application can be misinterpreted, but lets not stop doing the research.

jeez...thanks for voting guys......... :D

Just an idea here, :?: I would like to vote but your options do not include what Rid and I are saying.

I think this is an excellent thread, but perhaps broaden your answers to include what Rid is telling you.

It may be more reviling overall.

cheers mate a very good start on a very important topic.

I will be watching to see the results with positive anticipation.

gday, or gnight I am just learning the language from down under. :oops:

Late Entry:

I see that Rid is off line, I know that as a supporter of Bledsoe he would suggest a google search for the benefit of all.

DR. B. Bledsoe, Handouts, Research for Dummies....it is most excellent power point.

Agree with both of the above.

Although, in the US, it really isn't very common for it to be applicable to a Paramedic, who work primarily from written protocols that they are not allowed to stray from. One of the most satisfying things about my current position is that I am given a great deal of latitude with my clinical decision making and can choose from a variety of medications for any given condition, based upon what I feel is best for this particular patient. But yes, that is an extremely dangerous way to go if you are not basing your decisions upon sound, research based evidence.

Pretty much anything in my pants could be used as a weapon?

OMG we just puled out the big guns...... put that scary thing away the little girls are screaming...like again! :shock:

LMFAO! Sorry way off topic but this tread could go someplace good. :D

Is the Military doing any research in the treatment of "Trauma" we learned a lot from NAM, and the Falkland's. :?:

I always thought we learned in Vietnam not to put big arse red crosses on helicopters, but apparently not.

I also thought we learned not to house all your medical personnel in one place too, but again, apparently not.

Those who do not learn from history are destined to repeat it.

And we are. :roll:

Aren't the Hemcon and QuickClot issues being pushed by the military? I also thought that using tourniquets was coming back into vogue by combat medics.

The research definitely needs to be done, and understood by policy makers. Having a firm grasp on how things are supposed to work is absolutely beneficial when it comes to making a clinical decision. Knowing that a piece of paper tells you to perform a certain procedure doesn't cut it. Having the OK to use a particular medication without being able to weigh the risks and benefits, makes no sense whatsoever.

Research says...falls flat on it's face occasionally. Statistically, things should work this way. Realistically, no patient wants to remember what the "book" tells them to do. There has to be a fine balance between the two. Perhaps a mixture of the art and science of medicine. :roll:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.