Starting ride time soon, advice?

fiznat

haha thanks guys, all good points! A lot of what you mentioned are pretty basic things- ambulance etiquette type stuff. I'm pretty familiar with that, been working EMS as an EMT for about 5 years now. Not that there surely isnt more that I could learn, but still-

What about medical stuff? How aggressive to be on calls, how well should I know my drugs (every single detail, or know the when+when not+why+how+how much), what are some things I will likely get shaken up on during my first few good ALS calls, etc. I realize every preceptor will probably be different on what they want, but what are some experiences you guys have had- both good and bad? It'd be interesting to hear.

Well,

the questions you ask are exactly what you should ask your preceptor at the beginning of each ride time. Ask them how they want you to procede. When I precept, I let the student run the show as long as they are displaying confidence and competence. I am ready to intervene on a second's notice if they start drowning. Something else to consider, is I used to use a code word if you will, that the student could utter at any time. If they said it, I would step in until they regained their composure, thought process, whatever and was able to take back over the management of the call. By having a predetermined word, it eliminated and alleviated the patients concerns about having a student work on them in the first place. This made for a very seamless transition that a lot of pts never caught onto. It is much better than the student turning to you with that stupid ass look and saying help or I dont know. It allows the student to save face and be able to rebound quicker, especially in the confidence department. There is nothing worse or demeaning as a student than screwing up early on in the call and then hanging your head low, defeated for the remainder of the call or the shift depending on how bad you screwed up.

I need to stop all this explaining, I am beginning to sound like a softie...lol.

I used to use a code word if you will, that the student could utter at any time. If they said it, I would step in until they regained their composure, thought process, whatever and was able to take back over the management of the call.

lol, was it "uncle!!"

heh, thats a pretty good idea. I like the concept of saving face for the student in front of the patient and also not letting the patient know that there is a problem with his/her care. Sucks though, to think that there will most likely be a time when I will be well over my head on a call that such a word would be necessary. I'm not arrogant enough to beleive that this couldnt happen-- but damn, I'm gonna do everything I can to try and make sure it doesnt. ...Another of my reasons for starting this thread and reading this this forum :D

Code words? I love that! LMAO! Thats the most effeminate tactic Ive seen in a while!

Here is a code word you all might recognize: "MUSKRAT! MUSKRAT! MUSKRAT! Hey Dammit I said MUSKRAT..now drop the sryinge!"

• 3 weeks later...

This depends on who the service puts you with. Hopefully you will ride with a service that has intelligent management who will put you with a preceptor or atleast a medic who likes to teach. If so, while on call, keep your mout shut and observe, make a short list of questions to ask after the call. If you are with a sorry service, I wouldnt ask alot of questions. You will probably be smarter (bookwise) than their old goats who havent opened a book in ten years, thus they will be intimidated by you. Realize going in, that the book way is not usually the streetway (we can argue which is right or wrong all night), so when you ask questions do not ask as if you have noted something wrong, just ask in a general way (example: I found it interesting that you administered calcium chloride to that cardiac arrest patient, what symptoms led you to that treatment choice? versus I just finished taking ACLS, and my teacher says that Calcium isnt used anymore, why are you assholes behind the times ?).

I dont think you should have to buy lunch or do extra chores, it is nice for you to volunteer if you wish. Good Luck !

This depends on who the service puts you with. Hopefully you will ride with a service that has intelligent management who will put you with a preceptor or atleast a medic who likes to teach. If so, while on call, keep your mout shut and observe, make a short list of questions to ask after the call. If you are with a sorry service, I wouldnt ask alot of questions. You will probably be smarter (bookwise) than their old goats who havent opened a book in ten years, thus they will be intimidated by you. Realize going in, that the book way is not usually the streetway (we can argue which is right or wrong all night), so when you ask questions do not ask as if you have noted something wrong, just ask in a general way (example: I found it interesting that you administered calcium chloride to that cardiac arrest patient, what symptoms led you to that treatment choice? versus I just finished taking ACLS, and my teacher says that Calcium isnt used anymore, why are you &*%holes behind the times ?).

I dont think you should have to buy lunch or do extra chores, it is nice for you to volunteer if you wish. Good Luck !

There's some good advice on how to interact with the staff where you're working. And noone says that you should have to buy lunch or do "extra" chores. But as a guest of our service, there's no reason why a motivated student shouldn't be involved in whatever we're doing as a group. As a guest in the "house" for the day, the student can help us maintain the place. It's respectful and curteous.

Shane

NREMT-P

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.