Link for accredited EMS Programs

Rezq304

I am not one to usually post on this forum, but rather sit back and take in the knowledge that seasoned medics have to give, but in this case I cannot refrain. All I can say is that the faculty of the University of Maryland, Baltimore County, especially in the Emergency Health Services Department, are known throughout the world for the work they have done in EMS. Critical Incident Stress Management, and the CCEMT-P program all came from this school. I am with UMSTUDENT; scubamedic, while entitled to her own opinion, should refrain from playing down the education, which any Paramedic receives from a four-year program. I have the pleasure of working with several Paramedics from UMBC in my own county, and they are amazing providers. They have not only the knowledge to do their job, but more compassion that most providers. How someone can call someone else uncompassionate after they devote four years of their life to helping people beats the hell out of me. If you really want an opinion about UMBC's EHS program, talk to students who have been in it, or talk to the faculty...if anyone needs help getting in touch with these people please let me know, I'll be glad to help you as much as I can. While a pre-nursing major, and not an EHS major I live with several of them, and find it extremely ignorant for anyone to call people whom I know would do anything for each other uncompassionate, I guess there are just some people I will never understand.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a sophomore in the UMBC EHS program and I am set to enter into the paramedic portion of my education next fall. I have two things I would like to make clear about UMBC Medics. First of all, this program emphasizes professionalism and empathy for patients. We are attempting to take the profession of being a paramedic to a higher level, not one akin to a garbage man in the eyes of the public. People view us a laborers and not as the health care providers that we are, and we want to change that. Empathy is understanding that your patients is in pain and continuing with your patient care in a way that takes into account their feelings and not yours. Being their advocate is not having sympathy for them. Your patients do not need your sympathy they need you to understand, and then continue with your job as their health care provider by informing them what you need to do to help them. UMBC also offers more than just a paramedic program. They offer classes in search and rescue, stress and burnout, disaster management, and a class which allows you to get instructor I and II. This semester I am taking disaster management and my instructor is the man who invented CISM (critical incident stress management). The opportunities afforded at this university are amazing and I am very happy to be a student here. Whether you choose paramedic or management, this school has an excellent program. Finally, take all comments with a grain of salt, because this is the internet and you never know where they are coming from. Scubamedic was my roommate at the beginning of the school year, and was more than a little excited about being a UMBC medic, but well to be quiet honest she didn't make it through the first week. Any questions about the process, the school or the program I would be more than happy to anwser.

p.s. katie watch what you say... you never know who is watching

I would have to agree with the above responses to scubamedic's post. UMBC runs a fine program that is based on taking Pre-Hospital care to the next level. The program is top-notch and so are the students, only about fifteen graduate each year. UMBC doesn't crank out poor medics at a high rate. UMBC educates fine medics so that they may make the EMS system better in UMBC's name. The clinical hours and clinical lecturers are all above and beyond what a regular certificate program would require. Also by earning a BS in EHS UMBC students are required to take far more advanced A&P lecture and lab classes. The knowledge base that a UMBC Medic acquires here makes him/her strive to be the best and that is what this program aims to do, drive students to want to be the best. UMBC alums can be found all over in top-notch positions, which help to drive EMS to a higher level nationwide. Before reading or responding to any post I employ everyone to take things with a grain of salt and not base any judgments of a program on one persons biased opinion.

I agree that Maryland has an been instrumental in EMS programs, They have had a fine reputation of quality Paramedic programs... but remember all Paramedic programs are designed on the same basis, and what they want to include and demand makes the difference.

But, if I was from Maryland's program, I would not be bragging on the CCEMTP program or even the CISD. This is for another thread, but many of such programs have been questioned and shown not to be accountable.

When applying look for your intent and what the outcome you expect.

R/r 911

I specifically said I was in no way putting the program down...if it was was such a great program why is the department being investigated for not following procedure? I knew exactly what I was saying Joanna and I wasn't putting the program down, just informing people of the mentality some have of UMBC graduates. And I didn't not last a week I dropped out because of the way the department treated me and because they didn't follow the written procedures of the university. But that is all being handled by the lawyers now.

I wasn't putting UMBC down in any way or form, I was just expressing my opinion of the program.

Scuba,

You seem to be pretty self absorbed if you have completley ignored the fact that UMBC had one of the first four year programs, and as such, has alumni all over the United States. Perhaps you should be careful what you shout from the rooftops about lawsuits and inability to follow procedure and such. It's not wise to burn your bridges.

As stated WAY above by UMSTUDENT, take what Scuba says with a grain of salt.

But, if I was from Maryland's program, I would not be bragging on the CCEMTP program or even the CISD. This is for another thread, but many of such programs have been questioned and shown not to be accountable.

Damn! Rid beat me to the punch!

In the future, if you want to tout UMBC's credibility, you should be very careful to specifically leave CISM and CCEMTP out of your statements. Both are a joke, and nothing to be proud of. In fact, both diminish the credibility of UMBC.

Damn! Rid beat me to the punch!

In the future, if you want to tout UMBC's credibility, you should be very careful to specifically leave CISM and CCEMTP out of your statements. Both are a joke, and nothing to be proud of. In fact, both diminish the credibility of UMBC.

Dust,

Just because yourself and Dr.Bledsoe are friends doesn't mean that you should tout everything that comes out of his mouth. Unfortunately, many of the "studies" (to put it loosely) that supposedly discredit CISM were biased in their assessment. It is especially important to note that the PTSD industry, in the name of capitalism, has heavily marketed and utilized debriefing practices that do not necessarily follow the Mitchell model. I'm not here to necessarily defend CISM, but I will acknowledge that the theory has been instrumental in bringing recognition to the realm of PTSD in public safety personnel. Part of progress is in improving upon theories and adapting them for future use.

CCEMTP is the generally accepted industry standard for critical care transport. The popularity of the program speaks for itself.

There are things about everyone that are questionable. People with tact just choose not to publicize them. I ask you to consider that when you make statements regarding "research" from certain individuals.

Just because yourself and Dr.Bledsoe are friends doesn't mean that you should tout everything that comes out of his mouth.

One of the reasons that we are friends is because we think so much alike. I don't need his encouragement or approval to believe the things I believe. Anybody with any experience and common sense can figure these things out with neither me nor Dr. Bledsoe having to tell them.

Unfortunately, many of the "studies" (to put it loosely) that supposedly discredit CISM were biased in their assessment.

After all your education, I am disappointed in your failure to grasp the basic concepts of the scientific method. One need not prove that a theory is invalid. The theorist must prove that his theory DOES work. That has not yet been done. If it has not yet been shown to be effective, why would you even waste a moment's time looking for evidence that it does not? That's just back asswards. That is clearly a move of desparation, which is what your UMBC friends are down to.

I'm not here to necessarily defend CISM, but I will acknowledge that the theory has been instrumental in bringing recognition to the realm of PTSD in public safety personnel. Part of progress is in improving upon theories and adapting them for future use.

The realm was already well recognised and understood. Mental health professionals have been dealing with it for decades, and have effective strategies for doing so. All Mitchell did was to throw together a half-baked theory that if you have lay persons with no formal psychiatric education give half-arsed, cookbook psychotherapy to people before they get the disease, they won't get it at all. And, as we have all seen, it's total bull$hit. It's like giving people chemotherapy in hopes that they won't get cancer. You won't prevent the cancer, and you will kill some people trying.

CCEMTP is the generally accepted industry standard for critical care transport.

Wrong. The generally accepted industry standeard for critical care transport is to send an ICU RN along with the patient. And so long as the merit badge course for medics remains as woefully inadequate as CCEMTP, ICU RN will remain the standard. Regardless, if it is some kind of "standard," it is only because it has no competition. Hardly a ringing endorsement.

The popularity of the program speaks for itself.

Oh, right... and "accelerated" EMT and Paramedic courses are wildly popular too. So I suppose they are the "standard" that all others should emulate? Get real. You and I both know that the fast and easy way will always be "popular" in EMS. Hell, if I were to start a course that competed with CCEMTP, but was only half as long, my course would be the "industry standard" within a month. Popularity does not define excellence in medicine.

There are things about everyone that are questionable. People with tact just choose not to publicize them. I ask you to consider that when you make statements regarding "research" from certain individuals.

I have no idea what you are even talking about here. I made no statements regarding research from anybody. In fact, I did not use the word "research" at all.

In regards to the CCEMT/P (formerly called critical care paramedic) now referred to as critical care transport programs.. yes it is popular.. for right now. The reason is simple since it is one of the few that has been publicized in the past 10 years. I attended one several years ago, and unfortunately from anecdotal observations I have seen very little control in their courses. Rather as long as the money is paid, a course will be presented.

True, it is one of the only recognized CCEMTP courses; but ironically the FLP is the only nationally recognized test to certify a Paramedic in Critical Care, which they fail to administer and describe in their courses.

I agree with Dust, CISD is now accepted to be a crock of feces... the implication and development was never based upon scientific and clinical studies. Investigations of many systems using this for federal funding and other profitable sources is still being looked at. Yes, we need some type of psychological interaction with our members, but the current CISD is not the answer and in-fact may be more detrimental.

Again, Maryland has an over-all good reputation, but like so many others are basing much of that on past accomplishes, rather than new development of new programs. I am eager to see and read any new accomplishes they might produce.

R/r 911