Nursing Homes - Your general experience?

vs-eh?

We we called to a NH one night. C/C of "Shortness of breath, apneic". Generally apneic means not breathing at all, which I guess technically is a form of shortness of breath, or lack there-of. Upon arrival, we asked the staff that let us in the door what was going on with the pt. "He's short of breath and apneic".

"Okay, is he or is he not breathing?"

"Yes, he's breathing."

Turns out their definition of "apneic" was actually sleep apnea. In our area, those a quite different.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why not get rid of all nursing homes and let people take care of their families at home the way it should be? Instead of putting them in nursing homes for US to take care of and YOU to have to come pick up? Seems to me that this whole problem could be solved if people would just take care of their own at home........but oh wait......then that would mean that people would actually have to have a heart and show love and compassion for some one besides their selves wouldn't it? oh silly me to think that would actually happen :roll: :roll: :roll:

Apparently many of you have not tried or attempted this yet... I did. My father had aortic stenosis repair, while he was in a so called rehabilitation unit, his PTT/INR was not controlled properly from the Coumadin and suffered a stroke. I took him home and my family and I attempted to care for him.. his CVA left him increasing confused, and as a large structure man of 6'5 and 250 pounds was more than my sister of 5'5 could perform by herself and even me to turn every 2 hours and assist in ambulation etc.. Without proper equipment (lift chair) additional support and equipment such as shower chairs etc, it is very difficult and yes even dangerous to the patient.

Yes, it would be an ideal world if one could provide care for their immediate families, and I honor those that have and are doing so. It is very impressive to see families that still attempt to take care of loved ones and especially those that do provide excellent care.

It is unrealistic to think or even have an opinion that most families will or even would be able to care for their loved ones, hell, even the hospital and nursing homes cannot perform this very most of the time & they have the staff, equipment , etc. to perform such. Yes, many are placed into the nursing home without thought, but I much rather see this than repeated falls, stage IV decubitus, sepsis, dehydration and aspiration occurring on well intention families.

All I ask is that nursing home facilities perform the care they are there to do, and perform nursing care as it was designed as well. To actually perform assessments on patients, regulate their diets, medication, and tend to their physical and emotional needs

I have NO problem reading physician notes and med orders and questioning them, "Why they have not been acted upon?"...If need be< I will call the physician at home and inform him. My partners describes the staff does hide more often, when they see me responding.. :)

There are definitely bad nursing homes and yes 90% morons out there, with same or higher number of EMS representing the same.

R/r 911

why not get rid of all nursing homes and let people take care of their families at home the way it should be? Instead of putting them in nursing homes for US to take care of and YOU to have to come pick up? Seems to me that this whole problem could be solved if people would just take care of their own at home........but oh wait......then that would mean that people would actually have to have a heart and show love and compassion for some one besides their selves wouldnt it? oh silly me to think that would actually happen :roll: :roll: :roll:

:shock: :roll: :roll: :roll: :shock:

You do realize that I'm not attacking all SNFs, so I have to ask, why are you protecting the idiots that you work with? I don't go around protecting dumbass EMTs that can't seem to do their job correctly, and I understand why most medical directors are hesitant to allow BLS crews do do anything but the most BASIC care that can be described as advanced first aid. :roll: :roll: :roll:

You do realize that I'm not attacking all SNFs, so I have to ask, why are you protecting the idiots that you work with? I don't go around protecting dumbass EMTs that can't seem to do their job correctly, and I understand why most medical directors are hesitant to allow BLS crews do do anything but the most BASIC care that can be described as advanced first aid. :roll: :roll: :roll:

I was just making a point i am not protecting anyone or anything gezzz...........

why not get rid of all nursing homes and let people take care of their families at home the way it should be? Instead of putting them in nursing homes for US to take care of and YOU to have to come pick up? Seems to me that this whole problem could be solved if people would just take care of their own at home........but oh wait......then that would mean that people would actually have to have a heart and show love and compassion for some one besides their selves wouldnt it? oh silly me to think that would actually happen :roll: :roll: :roll:

So your response isn't to support the obvious issues of care deficiencies in nursing homes, but to suggest people walk away from their livelyhoods to supply full time uneduated nursing care at home in an enviroment that will kill them for general inadequacies.

Seems to me if you fix the issues at nursing homes, people can still make a livelihood and get appropriate care for their families in their golden years, and everyone would be happier.Hmmmmm, progressive thinking for a positive outcome....but oh silly me for actually thinking that would happen :roll:

-1 for off topic hit on basics

Umm, I am a basic and there are a lot of basics that have a holier then thou complex because they are basics. I'm comparing and contrasting my [apparently wrong] interpetation of itku2er's posts.

-5 for not understanding the concept of using of similar examples to illustrate a point.

-5 for thinking that examining the level of training and the amount of critical thinking that a lot of basics use is considered a "hit" or bash. The truth might be ugly, but it is still the truth.

Umm, I am a basic and there are a lot of basics that have a holier then thou complex because they are basics. I'm comparing and contrasting my [apparently wrong] interpetation of itku2er's posts.

-5 for not understanding the concept of using of similar examples to illustrate a point.

-5 for thinking that examining the level of training and the amount of critical thinking that a lot of basics use is considered a "hit" or bash. The truth might be ugly, but it is still the truth.

The post I highlighted with a off handed smartass remark, without basis or fact presented with it.

Therefore corroborating my "hit against basics" theory.

I dont disagree with your point, but lets rise above the stupidity you were battling against.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.