Wanker (wacker) to the N-th degree...

MedicDude

Well i hang my ears from my mirror but its not because i think im all important its because if your anything like me my car is a total trash heap and working two different jobs and a million different hours ive learned thats where I always will find it along with my name badge. of course when i start to drive i have to remove them for the view.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That guy's a nut job. We used to have a guy on the volly dept that went all out on his car too. Only exception was that he actually bought a crown vic and had it decked out like an unmarked cop. He had about 3 different scanners, an 800mhz radio and all kinds of other crap in it.

Plus this guy would always (even off duty) wear his EMS pants, a fire dept shirt with his stethoscope around his neck and his "batman" belt full of pouches, radios, pagers and cell phones.

People like this are just stupid in general but they're also dangerous. They think all that crap is cool and they just about go into a seizure when the pager goes off for a call just so they can impress anyone who gives a crap while they respond to a call. And most of them are useless anyway.

People like this are just stupid in general but they're also dangerous. They think all that crap is cool and they just about go into a seizure when the pager goes off for a call just so they can impress anyone who gives a crap while they respond to a call. And most of them are useless anyway.

Not to mention the fact that they spend all this money on "toys", but how much time and effort do you really think they put into their education and patient care skills? Honestly! Take some A&P courses, invest in some continuing education, and forget about all the doohickeys... The most expensive "toys" I've bought have been my comfortable boots and my Littman classic II.

The funniest thing is when the other posters on that forum say: "why do you need all that crap anyway?" and he says "I do fire and EMS" but when you dig a little deeper, it turns out he's a volly EMT-B (so who knows how much he actually works) and a probie FF. And he outfits his car like a police cruiser??? I've never met anyone like this personally, though I imagine it's only a matter of time before I do. :shock:

Good point. I've met people like this and I can assure you that they are substandard EMT's and Firefighters. They would rather use a personal vehicle like this idiot to show what they are part of an organization that provides a service to the community. It makes them feel important. I would just about bet the farm that the rest of the people on the FD where he's at can't stand him.

He'll be showing up in the local news for doing something stupid probably in the near future.

OR there are more of these wack jobs on this same department that don't get the press for their POV's because this guy is the only one with the income to support his wacker-dom, and buy a digital camera.

Kind of unusual for this developed a case in someone that drives a Volvo, but that just shows anyone can do it.

Not wishing the young whacker any harm, but he is going to get shot one day with all those lights flashing in the wrong individuals mirror. Most likely before he gets to his trunk. :roll: He wouldn't even be allowed to Volly at our service. We have a limit on whackerdom. :lol:

This poor, poor person. Wow, he's car is decked out more than our chase cars are, and they are pretty nice. Very comparable to an ambulance in equipment that is carried (the suburban is even outfitted to have a stretcher as we have had several mass casualty incidents with excess of 40 + patients transported). We are in the process of going paperless currently, so the laptops are a new addition. I love 'em. Plus dispatch can link us a map to help with directions on some of the unmarked or poorly marked streets, which there are many of in my area. Our suburban (which is supervisor's vehicle) is outfitted with a GPS, but it is the only one.

Now as far as volunteers, we have many on our department with varying levels of whackerdom. Most are pretty okay, with just a small ems or fire sticker in the window and a light as they respond from home as often they are closer to the scenes where they live rather than us responding from the station. We outfit those people with an AED, scanner, O2 cylinder, and a BLS bag (ALS carries an ALS bag). We have four people on the far edges of the county who provide valuable first response to the citizens in that area, and we have had great success in care for those patients. However, all the people are employed either with our service or a neighboring county and we know their skills very, very well. Also, for those that work an on call schedule, we allow lights in the vehicle for response to the station as they have to be there within 5 min (we allow them to go home provided they are in town limits, if out of town limits they have to stay at station or within town for duration of their call time.) These are department approved and provided. Anyone who has lights must have them approved through our chief and carry a card stating they are permitted to run them on their vehicle. One other thing is we are NOT allowed to wear our uniforms off duty. Our chief considers that an ultimate disrespect to the department to abuse the fact we get discounts, whatever. I wish more departments would mandate this.

Now, I am a responder off duty for my county, so here is how my little car is done. I have a small star of life on the side window of my car and maltese cross on the other. They are about two inches in size and very tasteful. I do have a small dash LED light which I remove when I am off duty, unless I am on a scene or making an off duty response due to my location. I do carry a bag minimally stocked as appropriate. I also have Emergency Tags which are required by our department for those who make primary response off duty. I do not carry a radio at all times, and there is not a scanner in my car. I respond when needed and appropriate, but otherwise, my time is my time. If there is adequate response, there is no need for me to go and simply be in the way, but I will ALWAYS go if asked. I have NEVER worn my uniform off duty (unless I needed to stop somewhere immediately prior to or just after getting off work). I do keep my stethoscope on my rear view mirror for one reason. If I put it any where else I constantly forget it. There I see it, and when I get to work, I always take it down and put it in the ambulance as I go in so I have it. I don't like exposing it to sun damage, and have tried putting it in the seat, etc, and I keep forgetting it. That way when I stop it smacks me in the head to remind me. No computer in my car (I couldn't and wouldn't live with that) and do everything I can to avoid the whacker look. I am a professional, not some wanna be. My skills and patient care should speak for what I am, not the amount of crap on my car.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.