mother who dropped newborn at fire hall didnt break the law

Jess

State officials say a woman who put her newborn in a paper sack and gave it to a Memphis firefighter didn't violate state law. The woman drove away after handing off the baby girl. Advertisement

Statute allows newborns 72 hours old or younger to be left with a member of the professional medical community.

Children's Services Department spokesman Rob Johnson says first responders would qualify under the law.

Fire Lieutnenant Larry Boothby says the woman asked him if the fire hall was a "Safe Place" and he told her it was. Various agencies and businesses are designated "safe places" and identified by a decal.

While that designation is primarily for the safety of elementary school-age children, Boothby believes the woman saw the decal and determined the fire hall was a good place to leave the infant.

Paramedics checked out the baby and then took her to the Regional Medical Center, where she was determined to be unharmed.

Tennessee's Safe Haven Law was created in 2001 to allow mothers to anonymously surrender unwanted newborns without fear of prosecution.

copyright AP

Katie Allison Granju , Producer

This was on my local news this evening and out of curiosity, I was wondering if anyone else in any other states has ever heard of this and does your state have the same statute? There is a lot of controversy that arose about this mother's act and many people feel this mother should be prosecuted for this. I disagree and would rather see a mother do this then dump the infant in a dumpster somewhere. Let me know what ya'll think!

Many states have programs in place like this. While I have not personally been a party to such a reception, I know and work with people who've taken in the kids and followed the protocol for care and turn over to child protective services.

While not ideal, I think it certainly gives the kid a better chance than staying with a mom who either doesn't want to or can't care for the child.

On what charges would the mother be brought? She didn't abandon per se. She didn't endanger. In fact, I think it shows that she just might've been looking out for the best interest of the kid.

And to people who have a problem with this, I wonder what they'd prefer happen...drop the kid in a dumpster wrapped in a plastic trash bag?

-be safe.

California has a safe surrender law for all PDs and hospitals. Locally, all of our fire departments are safe surrender sites. The only thing the bugs me about safe surrender is the fact that parents can reclaim their kids within 3 days of the surrender. If you can't take care of a 3 day old, the terrible twos are going to be hell.

"Hey, honey, you know how we need a baby sitter for that trip this weekend? Well, the fire department has a program where we can drop them off and pick them back up in a few days..."

(ok, this would only work if the baby is under 3 days old, but you get what I mean).

Oklahoma has a simular law. and it has cut down on unwanted infants being left in dumpsters or in trash bags on the side of the road.. and imagine all of the people waiting for a infant to adopt. If women do not want kids practice safe sex. and if an accident happens there is always adoption. but the mother did the right thing. she did not want the infant but she also did not harm the baby. all states should have a law. the mothers will have to live with their actions but a healthy baby is always a good thing.

K

Iowa has a law for infants, I do not know the particulars as to age etc. Just recently a new mother left a baby at a hospital in Des Moines under protection of the law. It has kept down the dumping of the infants in garbage cans or the side of the road.

At least this mother gave the baby a chance at a life that is probably better than the one she had or could provide.

Oklahoma has a simular law. and it has cut down on unwanted infants being left in dumpsters or in trash bags on the side of the road..

Texas has such a law, and it has not cut down on the number of abandoned infants. In fact, the numbers of abandoned infants has steadily increased since the law was passed, and the number of infants dumped at hospitals has decreased. The number of infants taken to fire stations has remained as before the law... almost non-existent.

More proof that do-gooder laws are pointless.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.