Just getting my feet wet...

Kevo

I'm a newbie as most of you can tell and I'm wanting to get my hellos in to the fellow students. I recently registered at the local tech. college for the EMT course which consist of Emergency Med. Tech. I, II, and III. I'm wanting to be a firefighter and someone on the squad said I should get this certification and I was pretty much assured a job. Otherwise I would be put in a long waiting list because they are mostly wanting people who know basic EMT. What all can I expect in the basic classes of EMT? Each class is Tuesday & Thursday 11am-5pm for 10wks. Then I get a 2 month break and start another class, and so on. I'm excited about getting started and finally having a career. BTW - I'm 22 years old and I changed my major from CISM to this because I finally realized I didn't want to be stuck behind a computer my whole life. Appreciate any advice or info.

-Kevin

Well hopefully you will make the distinction between the two professions and realize they have nothing to do with each other. It is nice for firefighters to be EMT's, with that saying it is a shame they require them to be.. a waste of resources, and time for those that have no desire.

Basic EMT ( I am not sure what I. II. III is i your state is) consists of little more than advanced first aid. You will taught patient assessment, vital signs, application of splints as well as spinal immobilization, and oxygen administration, and treatment of common medical emergencies.

Your course description located in your college student book will have further detail of what each level consists of as well as clinical time required.

Hopefully, you will be bitten by the EMS bug and pursue this as a career.

Good luck,

R/r 911

Welcome Kevo! As a new student I can promise you will learn more here in a month....if you pay attention....then you will learn in your Basic class!

Work through the old scenario threads....ask smart questions.....and you will be miles ahead of your classmates.

The things I've learned here have completely changed the course of my personal education!

Good luck!

Dwayne