Bls Question regarding Level of training

jdewit

Hi, Im a 21 y/o enrolled in my BAA through a training academy in Johannesburg, South Africa. A BAA would be the equivalent to your national emt-b. My brother is also interested in enrolling. His only concern is what level of emergency care would he be able to provide once he has completed this course. He is worried that after many months of training and a large sum of money he would have waisted it all and be just a driver? he wants to know that in an emergency situation he would be able to provide some kind of medical care instead of just being able to drive and hold the persons hand. are bls emt's trained enough to save a life? do bls practioners get the oppurtunity to "help"? i dont really want to go through all the effort of studies and realise that the only thing i can do to help is clean the back of the ambulance. another question. are emt-b's allowed to use oropharyngeal and nasopharyngeal adjuncts where u are from? combi-tubes? any replies whether good or bad would be greatly accepted and thank you in advance for your help.

have to disagree. hooves arent much of a turn on for me. i prefer a lil fur. nothing sexier than a good ol hairy women. you gotta dig women who have to shave more than you have to. aposable thumbs are over rated anyway.

sure, why not? now we have hooves, camel toe, hairy legs, and something about aposable thumbs, but not a single bit of it makes any damn sense!!!!!!! should have made this post about the sexiest animal on the planet. seem to get a better response that way *grin*.

Jdewit, welcome to the city. I cannot speak for the level of providers in South Africa, however, I can give you some basic information on the EMT-B in the USA. Most EMT programs are based around a 110 hour curriculum. The training focuses on BLS skills and knowledge. The specific scope of practice seems to vary greatly from place to place. Generally EMT-B's are allowed to insert airway adjuncts, suction, perform BLS and utilize the AED. In some areas basics can place rescue airways and intubate. They are also trained to stop bleeding, splint, and touch on the basics of medical,trauma, psych, environmental, and OB/GYN/Pediatric emergencies. Invasive procedures and pharmacology vary but many EMT-B's are allowed to administer a few medications. In addition, EMT-B's learn a little about patient assessment, documentation, anatomy, moving patients, and HAZMAT. EMT-B's may work as the sole provider or with an EMT-I/P team depending on where they work. I cannot recommend that you take an entire EMT-B course if you just wish to learn first aid skills. As far as life saving, I am not sure any human being can actually take credit for saving a life. (more playing a role in some kind of master plan) However, I will keep my personal views out of this post. I hope this helps.

Take care,

chbare.

You are going to have to ask someone from South Africa to get a better idea.

Consider that the individuals on the internet are posting about experiences all over the world that you probably won't be able to apply to you. The education you receive won't be a bad thing altogether, but you might not get what you want out of it. Most don't take an EMT class with the intention of actually using it.

Look into the program you are considering, and their curriculum. That will give you a better idea, than anything we can tell you.

His only concern is what level of emergency care would he be able to provide once he has completed this course. He is worried that after many months of training and a large sum of money he would have waisted it all and be just a driver? he wants to know that in an emergency situation he would be able to provide some kind of medical care instead of just being able to drive and hold the persons hand.

I'm a very new, volunteer EMT-B. I can't speak from much experience, yet my observation so far is that holding the proverbial hand is a large part of what the profession is all about. A recent call of mine was to transport an 80ish-year-old heart patient from one hospital to another that could provide better care. Patient had been given Lasix at the source hospital. During the 40-some-minute transport to the other hospital, patient developed the strong urge to urinate. My job was to help this man urinate into a bottle, and, when he missed and went all over the floor instead, to cheerfully reassure him that it was perfectly fine to go on the floor, and that we had lots of towels to clean up with. To work in the ambulance, I think it helps to see "holding the bottle" and cleaning up afterwards as a valuable service to your fellow man.

Does your brother want a career in EMS? Are there any practicing EMTs whom he could talk to, to find out what the career path is like in South Africa where you're at, what sort of education is needed?

As far as life saving, I am not sure any human being can actually take credit for saving a life. (more playing a role in some kind of master plan) However, I will keep my personal views out of this post. I hope this helps.

Take care,

chbare.

Deep, very deep.

I agree 100%. [-o<

Peace,

Marty

:joker:

Thank you all very much for your input. I know the protocols and scope of profession our emt-b's are allowed but i was wondering whether or not a bls provider has the ability to "do some good" or help someone. Thank you all.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.