Bls Question regarding Level of training

jdewit

You are going to have to ask someone from South Africa to get a better idea.

Most don't take an EMT class with the intention of actually using it.

Whenever anyone says something like that last sentence, I always wonder from what source they derive that statistic. Escpecially given that this would be someones thinking. It does not mean one doesnt exist, but I have never seen a survey on how many people who take emt training intend to actually use it

JEMS Magazine Vol 31 No 7, July 2006 page 32

"First - and this blew our minds - 54.5% of those who are not now practicing reported that they had never practiced."

This comment was made as part of a study on a completely different topic. However, the results do back up AZCEP's statement.

There are more people out there who have it and don't use it than you think. For some it was a "cool" thing to do. For others it's an occupational thing. For others yet it's simply something good to have just in case. (As an example, I used to work as a white water guide in West Virginia. I knew so many people who had an EMT cert simply because they thought it was good to have in case you had an injury while in the middle of a canyon with no immediate chance of evacuation. That and they were paid an extra couple bucks for the training. These folks never practiced anywhere. They didn't volly or work anywhere, nor did they intend to.)

AZCEP, once again, is very astute in his observations and right on with his assessment.

-be safe

My advice to you would be to go to the local squads in the area. I'm not sure how they work down there. Pick their brains a bit. Get some personal insight from the men/women who are already practicing. Keep something in mind, though. You will get positive and negative responses. Take each of them with a grain of salt. Just my $0.02. Best of luck.

Doc

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.