Scheduling question

I have a back up question on this topic and it fits very well here.

For those of you who are working with the system in question, are the full time employees guaranteed 40 hours minimum?

My understanding, from what my friend explained, was they had a 36 hour work week (3 x 12 hr shifts). They did work three shifts a week. Just that they (full timers) were scheduled around the part timers availability.

Still trying to wrap my head around this.

-be safe.

So they most likely look at their number of full timers, multiply it by three, and subtract it from 14.

EG: 3 full time, at 3 shifts each is 9 shifts. 14 shifts in a week leaves 5 open.

So they take the total free shifts, let their part time staff free reign and fill in the full time from there.

Strikes me that their stroking the part timers to keep them around...or the benefits are so good they know the full timers arent leaving.

Either way, seems they are making things considerably more difficult for themselves.

paramedic mike-good luck trying to figure it out!

I work this way--and I still can't figure it out. No one I tell about it can really figure it out either. From what I understand "that's just the way it's always been" :roll:

I tend to agree with PRPG, that they accommodate the PT staff to keep them around.

One has to take care of the full time staff first.. they are really your primary employees. Management should evaluate their management techniques and find out why they have rely upon part timers and definitely hire enough to staff appropriately without damaging full time employees.

Full time employees should be considered first and have a set schedule ( or at least tentative) part time is just that..part time (as and if needed). EMS managers should never have to rely upon part time to fill full time schedule slots.

I have worked at many places that attempted to accommodate part timers schedule.. very soon they had more part timers than full timers... like others described, don't screw your over full time staff. There is plenty of EMS personnel out there if managers wants to pay efficient.

R/r 911

Rid,

I absolutely agree...and so does the rest of the FT staff. It's actually been the subject of a lot of discussion lately....I'd love to hear suggestions on how you change the way management thinks when they are still stuck in 1986?? Someone suggested that I draw up some kind of template and 'present' it....not sure how THAT would go over.

I thought we were the only ones who were scheduled this way because NO ONE I've told has ever heard of such a thing--it's completely backward....

I can't say I have ever worked in a system like that. I also used to do staffing and I never scheduled that way either. The systems I have worked in give the full timers a set schedule, i.e. MTWT 0800-1800 for a six months or a year. Their schedules are based on seniority or position. The part timers are then filled in about a month ahead of time based on empty slots for the full timers. I do not believe I would work full time without a set schedule. I also believe it would make scheduling vacations a nightmare.

Peace,

Marty

:joker:

Our EMT-B and EMT-I staff bids on slots every six months. The ones with the most time in get 24's followed by 12's. Those with a lot of time in can "sale" their seniority to those under them for however much they wish, or give it away if they choose. They are on set days and do not rotate at all.

Our Paramedics do not bid at all, the ones with the most time in and meet the requirements are given a squad slot (Ford Explorer) and those that are newer get slots on ambulances. They are promoted as slots open up. For the most part, we have promoted with in our own stations and are able to keep those same members come shift bids.

We actually have shift bids next Friday. :wink:

ok -- this is an interesting thread.

I am wondering how many of you all worked with a similiar system that changed over to a "set" schedule, and how was that done to make that transition?

I am currently the only full time paramedic in a relatively small service. I have been trying like heck to get our director to place me into a set schedule for the last 8 months and the only slot I can guarantee is Friday overnights (not that I am complaining about Friday over nights -- I really don't mind.)

I am just looking for further suggestions on how to go about getting what I want/need -- any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

P40

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.