laryngoscope blades

asy

Sorry to reopen that debate but i just now got to read this locked thread: "Would you stick that laryngoscope blade in your mouth????".

I really don't wish to aggravate people all over again, just to add an interesting point.

GAmedic1506 wrote -

What procedures do you use to insure your blades are clean ? Do you autoclave, soak in cleaning agent, or use disposable. Would you stick any of the blades that are currently on your bus, in your own mouth. If not, why do your patients deserve less ?

- I agree with those who said that intubation it is not a sterile procedure and that whoever needs it do not complain..

I hope no one will get offended, I mean this with all seriousness and I'm sure some have done it too.

I now work where we have both disposable and regular blades (which we clean).

But what I wanted to add is: at some respected (!) facilities here, we use CONDOMS to cover the blades.

I'm not kidding; try it out. Best when needed for more than one patient at a short time. :oops:

P.S.: PLEASE try to keep this thread civilized.. i know there are endless joke possibilities now :wink: .

(Yes, I bet the condom company DOES wonder what's going on there when they order them by the boxes... Yes, those are MEDICAL facilities.. Yes, the condoms ARE disposable... and... what was it about 'sticking it in your mouth'..?)

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow that is a very good idea. Never considered it uuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrggggggggggg fighting urge for smart ass comment aaaaaaaaaaarggggghhh I'm OK, but it does make sense.

Peace,

Marty

:joker:

Edit: P.S. Glad to see your safe. You, your family and all of Israel are in our thoughts.

"Sir, I have a very serious topic to discuss with you. As you now, you have had a very large heart attack and you're not out of the woods yet. If your heart were to stop, we need to know.... what flavour of condom would you prefer?"

I think you can get non-latex condoms now... Polyurethane or something... But it's certainly an interesting idea! Too bad they don't make disposasble laryngoscope covers for that purpose. (interesting entrepreneureal opportunity, maybe?) 8)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.