D5W

FL_Medic

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For Amiodarone specifically, because of it's actions as a sodium channel blocker, you wouldn't really want to use NS to mix it. The bigger issue is the container. Amiodarone will leach some of the material out of a standard IV bag/tubing.

None of the solutions are absolutely recommended over any other one. You would probably need to find out from your medical control why one and not the other.

"FL_Medic,"

Are you asking if they use D5W in an amiodorance drip to 'ward off' Hyperchloremic acidosis and or hypernatremia? Just trying to understand your question more clearly.

ACE844

No, it was the sodium channel blocker thing, but we use it for other drugs, and I have never known why.

No, it was the sodium channel blocker thing, but we use it for other drugs, and I have never known why.

Well I know for the long term part of why they mix it that way are for the reasons I mention above. Also considerations are 'compatibility' issues like the 'amiodarone'. Also, sometimes they use it with chemo drugs because they non-vessicant, and vessicant, so it is bad if they extravasate from a vessel.

Out Here,

ACE844

I was under the impression that the impression that amiodarone was mixed in D5W because the dextrose is rapidly taken up by the cell and in turn acted as sort of a facilitated transport for the drug...

Also while D5W is initially an isotonic solution, it becomes hypotonic rapidly (again due to the fast uptake of glucose) in the form of sterile water. As I recall...

Vs-eh, that was my thinking along with Ridryder911. The solution is initially isotonic upon infusion. Then, as the dextrose is taken into the cell, the tonicity of the solution changes. Hypotonic water is left behind and the water wants to shift with it's gradient possibly promoting transport of the medication. Perhaps this is changed by the fact that a medication is mixed in the solution. I guess the quickest and easiest answer for using D5W as a delivery vehicle for some medications is because they will mix are there are no problems with compatibility.

Take care,

chbare.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.