Inmate EMTs?

[The Georgia] DHR Seeks Public Comment on Initial Licensing of Emergency Medical Services Personnel administrative RULE 290-5-30-.12

In a cooperative venture with the Department of Corrections, the DHR Division of Public Health, Office of Emergency Medical Services proposes a pilot program to grant a restricted EMS license to certain classes of inmates that complete an approved EMS education and examination course. Restricted licenses would enable a limited number of persons to work in communities on licensed first responder vehicles under the control and supervision of local community partners. Here you will find the Notice of Termination of Rulemaking Proceeding.

http://health.state.ga.us/programs/ems/index.asp

So the State of Georgia is now subsidizing EMT education for convicted felons, how does that work? How is that right for law-abiding citizens who must pay out-of-pocket for their EMT education? But beyong questions of flooding the job market with more EMTs, Georgia is a National Registry state, you cannot hold a National Registry certification with a felony conviction, am I right?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thbarnes,

You are right. You cannot hold any EMT licensing at all with a felony record. It asks on the application if you have been a convicted felon and also asks for explanation. In fact, A person cannot become a public servant with a felony record. Thats' why most agencies do background checks which is a good thing. I would rather lay there and die than have a felon working on me.

http://www.nremt.org/about/policy_felony.asp

I say enough said, self explained. 8)

[The Georgia] DHR Seeks Public Comment on Initial Licensing of Emergency Medical Services Personnel administrative RULE 290-5-30-.12

In a cooperative venture with the Department of Corrections, the DHR Division of Public Health, Office of Emergency Medical Services proposes a pilot program to grant a restricted EMS license to certain classes of inmates that complete an approved EMS education and examination course. Restricted licenses would enable a limited number of persons to work in communities on licensed first responder vehicles under the control and supervision of local community partners. Here you will find the Notice of Termination of Rulemaking Proceeding.

http://health.state.ga.us/programs/ems/index.asp

So the State of Georgia is now subsidizing EMT education for convicted felons, how does that work? How is that right for law-abiding citizens who must pay out-of-pocket for their EMT education? But beyong questions of flooding the job market with more EMTs, Georgia is a National Registry state, you cannot hold a National Registry certification with a felony conviction, am I right?

This is a stupid program... inmates should be taught ethics, and morals not BLS skills...I'm sure that the way they watch over them isn't the greatest either..

Convicts are people too. Give a second chance and ye shall reap the benefits.

right...to get free education with my tax dollars and then take jobs away from people that worked hard for there education.

OK, so lets NOT educate them, send them back in the streets to repeat whatever it was they did the first time because they have no skills...and then we PAY even more of our tax dollars incarcerating these individuals.

I think it is a case by case situation. Felons can be national registry, if they meet certain requirements as outlined in the link provided above. I do believe in second chances as I have had personal experience with several situations.

I say go for it. If it turns them around and produces a law abiding citizen who feels good about himself, has a purpose and contributes to society, by all means have at it.

There are many situations where one could be classified a felon and not all of them are crimes of sex or murder,etc. Like I said, it is case by case, so no I do not want people here to start presenting scenarios and "what if'ing" this all day long. Fact of the matter is, there are already many twisted and corrupt individuals among us in the profession, some we are aware of and some not.

I personally know of a few felons that are very good firefighters and one is a paramedic. I would trust them to this day with my life. One of them in particular, I had the pleasure of watching a total life change. No need to divulge the specifics, but I have witnessed it.

OK, so lets NOT educate them, send them back in the streets to repeat whatever it was they did the first time because they have no skills...and then we PAY even more of our tax dollars incarcerating these individuals.

I think it is a case by case situation. Felons can be national registry, if they meet certain requirements as outlined in the link provided above. I do believe in second chances as I have had personal experience with several situations.

I say go for it. If it turns them around and produces a law abiding citizen who feels good about himself, has a purpose and contributes to society, by all means have at it.

There are many situations where one could be classified a felon and not all of them are crimes of sex or murder,etc. Like I said, it is case by case, so no I do not want people here to start presenting scenarios and "what if'ing" this all day long. Fact of the matter is, there are already many twisted and corrupt individuals among us in the profession, some we are aware of and some not.

I personally know of a few felons that are very good firefighters and one is a paramedic. I would trust them to this day with my life. One of them in particular, I had the pleasure of watching a total life change. No need to divulge the specifics, but I have witnessed it.

I think that is rewarding a crime in a way. I think we should try to help them turn their lives around, but in no way should they get opportunities not available for someone that hasn't commited a crime.

How are the opportunities not avaliable?

There is money out there, it just takes determination to get it.

I put my wife through EMT school when we dirt poor simply by applying for a federal grant.

I went through the fire academy on a scholarship by simply writing an essay on why I deserved the money.

The only thing limiting us is our desire, motivation, tenacity, whatever. We control our destinies...

How are the opportunities not avaliable?

There is money out there, it just takes determination to get it.

I put my wife through EMT school when we dirt poor simply by applying for a federal grant.

I went through the fire academy on a scholarship by simply writing an essay on why I deserved the money.

The only thing limiting us is our desire, motivation, tenacity, whatever. We control our destinies...

Still, it is a competetive job market..

Excactly...it is a competitive market, therefore they are not guarenteed a job.

May the best canidate win and if it happens to be a reformed convict that was educated on my dime and for some reason he outshines all the law abiding canidates, then good for him.

We have much bigger issues than worrying about a few dollars being spent on inmates in a trial program that may be canned next year for an education that may do them no good. SUrprise, do you know how many inmates obtain HS education and college degrees on our dime? Its been going on for decades. While I struggle to pay for my higher education they get theirs provided. DO I care? Nope, not at all because I don't mind working for my stuff. In a free world, there is always going to be someone getting something for nothing. Sometimes its me, sometimes its not. I dont care...nothing will stop me from obtaining what I desire.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.