Watch your back

Today My unit, Medic 3 was dispatched to a Signal 4(MVC) truck vs. Car.

On arrival there appeared to be 2 pt.s one standing outside is car and the other in the driver seat of the truck. The truck T-boned the car at a low speed. PD arrived on scene shortly after us.

anyways when I approached te driver of the truck he was acting a little distraut and was hispanic tat spoke broken English. The pt. stated he had some pain around his ribs on his L side.

Pt. denied head, neck, or back pain so I asked him to sit in his back seat so there would be no late airbag deployment. Te pt. began to act really suspicious and I noticed he had about 3 cell phones on him. anyways he said he wanted to be transported after we asked him the third time and we were getting ready to head for the truck.

To make a long story short my partner saw him put something in his pocket and said what was that. Keep in mind my partner is in her 3rd trimester of pregnancy and is very safety oriented. So I thaught maybe he had drugs on him. He stated that it was "paper". And my partner was like oh no it wasn't. After we pulled it out we found it was a loaded gun.

PD handeled the pt. from there.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice catch on the part of your partner, I'm glad your both safe. This just goes to show you that it is important to be on the ball out there,

ACE

Yep, well she works this area more than me (downtown), so she has a little more experience looking out for that stuff. It would have been my pt. and I have a student today so who knows what could of happened in the back of my bus.

Yep, well she works this area more than me (downtown), so she has a little more experience looking out for that stuff. It would have been my pt. and I have a student today so who knows what could of happened in the back of my bus.

Most likely nothing good..there are a few threads here posted from people who have had similar experiences, just be glad that when he got nervous he didn't start shooting ... Perhaps if you don't wear it you may consider this a sign of the need for body armor..Just a thought,

ACE844

Not to hijack your thread, But we had a simular situation. Our patient was extremely combative. We had 4 state police officers on scene holding this paient down while trying to perform patient care, yelling let me go before the police arrive. We had 3 other EMTs' holding him down and finally got him on the backboard and into the squad. He was fighting all the way there and was really calm when thry pulled upto the hospital entrance. 8 minutes later, Mind you that we didn't and could not perform patient care. The ER Doc walks out and asks: How come you people didn't perfom patient care? Too combative, took all we had to hold him down. RE Doc: Does this explain why he wasn't searched? Then he pulls a bag from behind him and shows us a knife and alot of drug paraphenellia. He had all from crack, marijuana to PCP.

The only thing we could find funny was 2 of the officers had thier tazers out ready to just let him have it at the scene while others were holding the patient down. Of course they knew better.

"Perhaps if you don't wear it you may consider this a sign of the need for body armor..Just a thought,

ACE844"

ACE844, you bring up a good point. How many EMT's wear body armor? In many cases they are entering and working in many situations that may have the potential for violence. Many of the new vests offer good ballistic protection, are light and inconspicuous, and affordable. (People can blow $400.00 of their own money on a personal pulse oximeter.)

Take care,

chbare.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.