Pedi Radio??

I was at the monthly meeting for our town ambulance service, adn one of our EMTs, also an EMT for EASCARE in worcester, mentioned that when he was giving the radio report to UMASS for a pediatric call, he got a verbal thrashing for not giving his report on a "pedi radio". No one around here seems to know what this is. All I can assume is that it's a radio frequency that patches through to the pedi section of the ER, but EAScARE doesn't have it programmed, and neither do we.

Can anyone shed some light?

I can't help but wonder if this isn't a big joke somebody is playing on you, like sending a new kid in the Air Force to go requisition a bucket of prop wash. :lol:

But perhaps this "pedi radio" channel does exist, but only Boston EMS has it, and the hospital personnel assume everybody has it? A similar thing happened in my system years back. The big city provider put in a dedicated radio system of their own, and all the hospitals started ignoring the radio that all the suburbs were calling in on, sometimes chewing on suburban crews for using the "wrong" radio.

Just a thought.

"Imagine,"

As someone who has worked extensively in that I system I can tell you the following. UMASS ER is extremely busy, busy enough to rival BMC or MGH most days. So most probably you got an over worked ER nurse on the C-med radio who in terse language tried to explain THAT YOU SHOULD HAVE DONE THE FOLLOWING FOR FUTURE REFRENCE:

A.) UMass pedi and adult ER's are 'joined' but are next to one another with the 'adults' on one side, and pedi on another. They also have 2 c-maed extensions on different 'frequencies' which is the best way to explain it. The 'Adult' radio is located behind the trauma rooms and the 'PEDI' radio is in the glass cubicle where the pedi residents and attendings sit and write their notes etc.. There is also usually always a nurse or secretary in the area to 'hear' the radio.

B.) When you began your entry note via Worcester C-med, you should have told the operator that you wanted an ENTRY NOTE TO UMASS PEDI, that would have caused the operator to 'put you through' to the correct radio and thus relieved yourself and the nurse of 'ire' and the need for explanation.

C.) So in closing most like this was a breakdown at the c-med dispatcher level, or a result of a person improperly requesting a patch, or any combination there of. Fact of the matter is, the only way to control which radio the patch goes to is at the CMASS EMS c-med dispatcher level.

D.) If your partner or the other person involved worked for sleazecare, I mean EAScare, in worc. than they should have known better to begin with.

E.) I find it SAD AND DISTURBING THAT NOONE ON YOUR SERVICE KNEW BETTER AS THIS IS COMMON KNOWLEDGE IN THIS SYSTEM!!!

Hope this Helps,

ACE844

I can't help but wonder if this isn't a big joke somebody is playing on you, like sending a new kid in the Air Force to go requisition a bucket of prop wash. :lol:

But perhaps this "pedi radio" channel does exist, but only Boston EMS has it, and the hospital personnel assume everybody has it? A similar thing happened in my system years back. The big city provider put in a dedicated radio system of their own, and all the hospitals started ignoring the radio that all the suburbs were calling in on, sometimes chewing on suburban crews for using the "wrong" radio.

Just a thought.

"Dust,"

Just for future reference the 2 cities are about 70-80 miles apart. Although I do agree that your assessment could have been a distinct possibility in many systems..GREAT ADVICE!!

Good Hunting,

ACE844

"Imagine,"

As someone who has worked extensively in that I system I can tell you the following. UMASS ER is extremely busy, busy enough to rival BMC or MGH most days. So most probably you got an over worked ER nurse on the C-med radio who in terse language tried to explain THAT YOU SHOULD HAVE DONE THE FOLLOWING FOR FUTURE REFRENCE:

A.) UMass pedi and adult ER's are 'joined' but are next to one another with the 'adults' on one side, and pedi on another. They also have 2 c-maed extensions on different 'frequencies' which is the best way to explain it. The 'Adult' radio is located behind the trauma rooms and the 'PEDI' radio is in the glass cubicle where the pedi residents and attendings sit and write their notes etc.. There is also usually always a nurse or secretary in the area to 'hear' the radio.

B.) When you began your entry note via Worcester C-med, you should have told the operator that you wanted an ENTRY NOTE TO UMASS PEDI, that would have caused the operator to 'put you through' to the correct radio and thus relieved yourself and the nurse of 'ire' and the need for explanation.

C.) So in closing most like this was a breakdown at the c-med dispatcher level, or a result of a person improperly requesting a patch, or any combination there of. Fact of the matter is, the only way to control which radio the patch goes to is at the CMASS EMS c-med dispatcher level.

D.) If your partner or the other person involved worked for sleazecare, I mean EAScare, in worc. than they should have known better to begin with.

E.) I find it SAD AND DISTURBING THAT NOONE ON YOUR SERVICE KNEW BETTER AS THIS IS COMMON KNOWLEDGE IN THIS SYSTEM!!!

Hope this Helps,

ACE844

It does help, but in our defense, we don't transport to UMASS at our service. And yeah, I know allllll about the sleazecare reputation :shock:

And the really scary part was that the kid's supervisors/other partner's had no clue about this "pedi radio"

Yeah right, next thing you'll try to tell is there no such thing as 250ft of flight line.

Peace,

Marty

:joker:

Once in a while, I either work a different district, or go on a "patient request" to a hospital where the ER crews and I don't know each other. When interacting with the unfamiliar ER crew, I make a point of mentioning I don't usually go to that facility, so if I am inadvertently doing some "infraction" of that facility, like using a "nurses only" desk to complete paperwork, they will know and understand. Worked for me for many years keeping my butt outta trouble.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.