Some reason not to disrobe femur fracture?

Considering this was being filmed in real time, perhaps the medics were coached beforehand to make sure they didn't all get "strip & flip" happy. If this was a closed fracture and distal PMS was good, I can understand if visual assessments for bruising and swelling were done out of camera range.

Good observation, though. Maybe the camera crew loaned them some x-ray glasses! :lol:

Nothing like having an extra hunk of metal hanging out your ambulance.

and that is going to stop you from performing your job appropriately?

Your interested in pain management for the patient, but not in using a splint that performs similar amounts of pain management, is the most appropriate for the injury, and avoids pharmalogical pain relief, and the potential side effects.

I have to ask, are you lazy, or simply dont remember how to use the equipment?

Just wondering as to why everyone keeps referring to the fact that this patient had a #NOF

I may just be a ambo from down under but my observations and diagnosis is a # femur (mid shaft) due to the fact the post said it WAS CONFIRMED AT HOSPITAL.

discounting that, the clinical signs at the scene lead more to a # of the femur than a # of the NOF due to the swelling and pain to the mid shaft and not the hip. Nothing listed as to the evidence of any shortening and rotation of the injured leg.

The standard for a fracture of the upper leg is normally a traction splint (choice of the officer as to what type and as to what is available). How ever on an elderly patient that has a very thin build and may have a bone disorder (osteoarthritis or osteoporosis etc as most 80 yo females have) the splint may cause more damage that is warranted, therefore it may be be better to just splint the leg with a large leg splint and make the patient comfortable for transport.

Therefore I see that the treatment that the officer did was not incorrect as everyone has to be treated as we find them and on the merit of the case that we are attending.

The action of removing the 80 yo females pj bottoms or cutting them off, well would you do this to you grandmother while a TV crew was holding a camera over your shoulder? even though you could make the relevant diagnosis with out this action?

my two bobs worth.....

stay safe

My thoughts exactly Craig.

As far as stabilizing hip fractures in the field, it is SOP to use three triangular bandages here. This method takes the least amount of time and seems to provide enough stability to move the person (since they are often on the floor) without causing further pain or injury.

Doesn't the traction splint sit in the bottom of a compartment on top of the MAST suit?

Wait I think I know where to find it. Either would be a reasonable option for splinting, though neither would be considered by most.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.