Working Holidays

Please don't go.....and don't get discouraged. Being the spouse of a medic is a tough gig.

Perhaps get together with other medics wives and do something for the holidays. Chances are they are feeling a bit low as well and by keeping company with the other wives, you can develop a type of commeraderie with them.

Taking time to celebrate holidays, even though it might not be on the exact day, is an excellent idea. It's important to you as a family to experience them together in some form even though it's not maybe what we would call an ideal situation. Time to get creative and see what can be done to enhance the whole holiday thing. Start new traditions that can be altered to fit your husband's demanding schedule. Somewhere down the line, he won't be low man on the totem pole any longer and he can pick a few holidays which are important to you both as a family to share for him to ask to have the day off. Bad timing on his schedule? Knowing about it early can help you plan things that he can enjoy with you and the kids and still go to work knowing he got to celebrate with you in some way.

Enjoy together what you can, keep it creative and know your husband is wishing the same as you are.

keep up the good work it takes a very strong person to handle the weird scheduals of ems. celibreate when u can and do as much family stuff as possible. it helps keep the family tight. my wife and i are both emt's imagine thehard time we have to get time together. but we do all we can to be a family when we get time off together.

It's hard being a medic and probably twice as hard being the spouse of a medic.. I have been both. Sorry, if I offended you that was never my intent. You need to learn part of this business is similar to military spouses and they have to be a special breed. It is not easy... no one ever claimed it, like others discussed try to meet with other spouses.

You need to give him and especially you a chance... after you have been in this a while you will really see that it is a close knit family and we take care of each other as well as families of others as well. Things will get better.. I know it may not seem that way at first.. all of us remember the first holidays... it's hard.

I realize it is hard being on both sides of the fence, remember we do care here and hopefully this holiday will be an exciting and better than you think... good luck,

R/r 911

I am the senior man on day shift, and I still have to work Christmas. Have for the last 3 years, with my partner Dave. That is just the way our template falls. You have to work the holidays that fall on your rotation, there is no taking holidays off. If you are lucky enough to switch, or find a part-timer...

It sucks, we both have families.

My wife and I schedule Christmas according to our free time anyway. She works in health care, and has to take OR call. Sometimes on holidays.

Until my parents moved nearby, Christmas would have been celebrated either a month early, or late. It is usually celebrated on my weekend off. On Christmas, my wife and son usually go to her parents. The next weekend, to mine.

Please don't feel like you are insecure, or bothering us. We will gladly attempt to help, or at least, reassure.

If you have child care, have you ever considered riding an observation shift with you husband?

It is sad, I no longer see them as holidays.........its double time now!!!!

Yea me too....as a single mom, double time turns it into just another day. I just take another day during the week off.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.