TAC EMS peoples

P3,

Thanks for the reply, I think however, you missed some information in my initial thread.

I am already SWAT certified and the shieldman on my team (we use the acronym SRT-Special Response Team- instead of SWAT because our chief feels it is more PC :? ).

I agree with you reference that medical ability is a skillset that is easily lost unless practiced daily. Which is one of the reasons I re-enlisted as a flight medic (if you caught the 60 Minutes article on flight medicine personnel 10/29/06 that is exactly what my unit does). I think that after a couple of tours overseas providing care for combat wounded soldiers my skills will be well learned (and earned).

As far as your assertion, reference how easy it is to, "train great medics to be pretty a good operator", I will have to respectfully disagree. I'm not looking for an internet argument, however, so I won't elaborate.

I do agree with the advice you provided about obtaining as much medical education as possible. I've spent literally years developing my tactical skills, therefore I will need all the education and experience I can get reference the medical aspects.

I feel that both medics (whether tactical or "regular" types) and police officers (whether tactical or "regular types) hold some of the most stressful, demanding jobs in the country and I respect any and all of them (firefighters too for that matter).

thanks for the info,

Kel

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

P3medic: You are on point about the specifics of "tactical" medicine". I do have a major problem witht this trend (you are not to blame here) of LEOs and "tactical medics" calling themselves "operators". There is only one unit in the US military that has coined the term operator. Now it seems that is the title to give your self when you get your black ninja suit.

Aside from that your advice is sound.

jtski: Youve got the inside knowlege on how your unit operates. Tactical medicine is no challenge for you or most people with common sense. You mentioned that you were in the AF reserve component? Im not sure what type of unit you are in but would like to know. Chances are you have developed good skills there.

The following skills are available to Combat life saver students in the Army and i think that if you understand and practice these you will be fine in a tactical enviroment.

1. Understanding fully the concept of Tactical Combat Casualty Care (TC-3)

2. The application and removal (TC-3 encourages this) of tourniquets improvised and commercial.

3. Application of older field dressings, israeli dressings, chitosan dressings, and/or quick clot

4. initiating IV access. Saline locks included.

5. Placing oral and/or nasal airways

6. Improvising litters and utilizing the SKED litter

7. Calling for a 9 line MEDEVAC request (military application only)

8. Last but not least is application of chest seals and needle decompression.

Knowing how to fill out a field medical card is useful if you are in the military but not a big deal.

If you master these skills and keep in mind that these are the basics only ...you should be GTG in your transition from shield man to medic.

Good luck and keep us posted.

With every best wish,

Somedic

Your right, I completely overlooked the part were you are active with your srt....with that being said, and your medical experience, some yet to come, i see no reason to waste your money on a tactical medic course.....good luck. As for the term "operator", it is certainly in common usage amongst various LEO's and military, for quite some time, probably no different than legs in jump boots and the "ranger roll" in one's cap in every infantry unit out there, tab or not...now the beret is for everyone, things change, don't sweat the small stuff....

p3medic: You forgot the baseball caps some regular troops i saw slip on once they were out of the FOB..It made them look cool like...real operators.

The term operator: Im not sweating the small stuff here but why give yourself a title you dont deserve? Like calling a combat life saver trained soldier a medic. There is a group of real operators that find this civilian use of "operator" amusing.

SRT what is that? Is that some feminist nazi group? Where I operate we are know as SWAT

To hell with PC.

Good luck to you and stay safe.

With every best wish,

Somedic

somedic,

As is indicated by your wealth of information I have a lot to learn and am willing to sacrifice the time and energy to make myself competent in my upcoming career field.

The medic unit I have enlisted in is a USAFR unit (our drill is two weekends a month-one for the med training and one for the flight training) and our job is to utilize fixed wing aircraft and to transport critically wounded soldiers from bases to a location where they can receive the needed higher level of care (primarily from A'stan or Iraq to Germany-most of us are not on the battlefield) treatment. Sometimes we are tasked with transporting one or two because if the urgent need and sometimes we take quite a few. My training (as I understand it) will consist of an NREMT, four months working in a high volume civilian ED, and then a 2 month air crew course. After I accomplish these, I will begin to search for the needed courses, certs, and skillsets that will increase/develope my other medical skills (hopefully by this time I will understand my weaknesses more). My unit has already informed me they will pay for a paramedic cert (and as I have a Bachelor's Degree I will be close to satisfying the requirements for an A.S. in Paramedicine).

This might be sketchy information because I have been to none of these courses yet as I have just began the process of and am now finishing the paperwork to obtain a school date; I don't mind starting at the beginning or admitting where I am; hardwork and motivation are my keystone for success (I never pretend to be something I am not).

p3,

It's all good, I am here to learn and I appreciate any information provided, it helps me learn and gives me new things to consider about the medical (and by the entirety of this thread: how it is sometimes viewed) career field.

somedic,

As far as the term operator goes, you are right, there are quite a few civilians (and military) career fields that use that term. I've never called myself on operator (I've never felt I deserved the moniker). I don't know how I feel about civilians using the designation. Maybe as long as they understand the distinction between themselves and what I would term the "real" operators (military) it wouldn't bother me.

Also, I agree with you about the SRT/ERT/HRT/ETC=SWAT statement, BUT I'm not the Chief (and never will be)....

this is good info for me, thanks,

Kel

jtski: It sounds like you are in a neat unit. The fact that you are in a reserve unit that does real world missions and not sit around on drill weekends is something to value.

I dont know a lot about AF medical evacuation but it sounds like you will get some good training/education. I think you will have a rewarding time ahead for yourself.

The information I gave you in my last post to you is the curriculum for the Army Combat Life Saver Course. I dont know and have never heard of CLS certification for members in other branches. I'll check into this today However, the information is the essential skills to make a difference in a wounded service man's life. . If you get a chance to go to a civilian TEMS course and the AF will foot the bill...GO!

The term "operator" Well I know for a fact that there is only one way to earn that title and most people arent willing to take that walk.

Let me know if I can help you in my limited capability.

Thank you for your service to our country

Somedic

I don't mind starting at the beginning or admitting where I am; hardwork and motivation are my keystone for success (I never pretend to be something I am not).

wow i am inpressed Kel......we need more like you in the feild....the ones that arent scared to tell the truth and not claim to be anyone that they are not.....ego gets you no where but hated....but motivation and will can take you far....keep that attitude and you will succeed at anything in life

later

TERRI

1073-1.gif

SOMEDIC "Where I operate we are know as SWAT" If one operates, does that not make one an operater? I hear the term used quitte a bit in the building where I work. I seperates those who are combat arms from the rest of the pogues.

The term "operator" is not limited to one Branch's SOF. It is a "purple" term in all the applications I've seen it used. That being said, its also a term that is used for those elite style Police based units, and I've never seen any Military "operators" scoff at the use of it, because it applies directly to what they are doing. I think that most SOF are comfortable with the reality that Police Operators won't be confused with SOF Operators.

That being said, I think most folks are right on in saying that most programs in the EMT-T training world (from the few folks I've spoken to) don't offer much more than a CLS level of education, but there are a bunch of folks out there who NEED that level, and aren't able to get it due to being "civilians." I think there is a bonafide need.

I also think that there should be some courses designed that attain a higher level of training than what is seen commonly in the EMT-T world. There are a ton of things that a trained EMT-B or CLS could practice on to provide a higher level of care to their soldiers/officers, as well as gaining familiarity in practicing their craft in combat - simulated conditions. I am anxiously awaiting my chance to attend the new CLS course, and I hope that it encompasses more than what I think it will, I'd like to see things like emergency care over the long term (hours), casualty assessment and treatment during "combat" conditions, living tissue work to familiarize the student with the realities of injuries (moulage was a giant step in the right direction, this is just the natural evolution), and even insertion of trach tubes (don't think this is part of CLS.) I'm a fledling in this brotherhood, so I'm sure over time I'll learn more things I wish I'd known ahead of time, things I will learn the hard way about gunshot and blast treatment.

MtnSoldr

I have taken the new CLS. They do teach NPAs now. Needle decompression is a new one, too. They teach the use of the SKED to move pts. They do not do any live tissue or moulage, I think part of it is a time factor. No long term care taught as the intent is to quickly treat the pt and then resume combat duties once the 91W arrives.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.