Who here drinks too much?

Do you think you drink too much?  

66 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes, I think I have a serious problem.
    • I think I drink more than most, but its not a problem.
    • I drink only moderately.
    • I rarely drink.
    • I don't drink at all.

Just curious to see the response I get with this poll. Please be honest. Alcoholism is a serious problem in EMS, and I'd just like to see what the members of this site believe about themselves. If anyone wants to share a story about EMS and alcohol use by themsleves or a coworker, please feel free. It's a topic that should be brought up more than it is.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually can say I do not drink at all. Years and Years ago when the legal age for drinking was 18 where I lived, yes I tipped a few to many. That being said, we just grew up and quit, that was somewhere around 37 years ago.

10 more days before I can legally inhibit my NMDA receptors while activating my GABA(A) receptors...

(Neuro final in 5 hours, including ETOH and Fetal EtOH syndrome... stupid 8 am finals...)

My name is Marty and I'm...Nah.

Yes I used to drink to excess, whether or not it was job related? :dontknow:

I think the problem was there was a group of us who would get together after our shifts and on our nights off and go out together. So for a long time I was drinking every night and yes drinking to excess. Was it a problem yes, but it was one I walked away from on my power. I never needed AA or any other 12 step program, I just realized it was a problem and quit. It was a problem for some of my fellow employees, and did effect their lives at work and at home.

Like they say the hardest part is admitting you have a problem.

Peace,

Marty

:joker:

My name is Marty and I'm...Nah.

Yes I used to drink to excess, whether or not it was job related? :dontknow:

I think the problem was there was a group of us who would get together after our shifts and on our nights off and go out together. So for a long time I was drinking every night and yes drinking to excess. Was it a problem yes, but it was one I walked away from on my power. I never needed AA or any other 12 step program, I just realized it was a problem and quit. It was a problem for some of my fellow employees, and did effect their lives at work and at home.

Like they say the hardest part is admitting you have a problem.

Peace,

Marty

I would just like to say that "needing" AA is not a weakness or personality flaw. It is just another tool in life's bag of tricks to help us make it through with some semblance of happiness, or at least contentment. The ultimate goal of life: Seek pleasure and avoid pain. That being said............... I am drunk now rihgt . :drunken:

I only drink a couple times a year, usually once during a summer house party, and then usually again at Christmas, but alcohol isn't my problem........food is.

Just like alcoholics use booze as their weapon of choice to make themselves feel better, I use food as my weapon (unfortunately).

Maybe this just might be my excuse, but I feel that stopping drinking is easier than losing weight and keeping it off. After all, my philosophy is, you can live without alcohol, but you can't live without food, right? Or is my thinking wrong??

I think you can just stop drinking, but you just can't stop eating.

Sorry to hijack the thread, I'll be leaving now........ :oops:

Well I cant win this one cause I dont drink at all.....unless it is coffee or diet coke or iced tea sometimes. I dont need the alcohol to deal with my problems..EMS is a very demanding job and comes with alot of stress and sometimes heart break that is what the CISD people are for let us do our jobs to help you deal it isnt a sign of weakness to ask for help when needed...Personally I like to be in control too much to either do drugs or drink alcohol....when I screw up I want all the credit and not use a crutch to say hey it was the booze or drugs that made me do this or that....I am a responsible adult and I will take full responsibility for ALL my actions....I am a very independant and strong willed person and I dont agree with the cop out of laying all your problems on the doorstep of drugs or alcohol.....if you drink fine

but dont use it as an excuse because you arent man or woman enough to deal with your problems head on.

ASYS this was a good topic

Later

Terri :angel13:

I would just like to say that "needing" AA is not a weakness or personality flaw. It is just another tool in life's bag of tricks to help us make it through with some semblance of happiness, or at least contentment. The ultimate goal of life: Seek pleasure and avoid pain. That being said............... I am drunk now rihgt . :drunken:

I did not mean that AA or 12 steps were a weakness, I was just lucky enough not to be that far down the road. Sorry if I came off that way.

Peace,

Marty

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.