CPR Changes.. have you changed?

Ridryder 911

Just curious after reading an article Dr. Bledsoe had written on some of the success stories with the new changes. http://www.merginet.com/index.cfm?pg=indus...n=newCPRchanges

How many of you have implemented the new changes & have seen any improvements or downside ? Or are you continuing with the same standards?

R/r 911

We have implemented the new CPR. One huge change we have seen is we now take at least 2 first responders on all arrests to do nothing but CPR.We can regularly have 45min to 1 hour transport times. I have had in the last 6 shifts 4 arrest situations. 2 made it and 2 didn't. 79yo and 73 yo didn't. 16 yo and 57 yo made it. One significant change I have seen is going out of the gate with 360 joules. I think that is a positive change. I haven't seen any studies to see the difference in overcoming inter thoracic resistance. It simplifies the process. If increased CPR saves life then we need to get off our tails and do what is best for the patient if it doesn't then we need to fix it. Just a few thoughts.

The new guidelines could possibly have a positive effect. Time will tell. Actually just took A cpr refresher to familiarize my self with the new practices. They were still teaching the older guidelines?

I believe the bigger problem is the fact, in my experience that pre hospital providers don't provide adequate CPR. Whatever the reason manpower providing other skills.

I have stated this before excuse me if I am repeating myself.

I have been a second truck in on numerous codes, and when you open the doors, there is no one doing CPR. They are in the process of ETI, or pushing meds, dropping a note, etc....

I believe the emphasis needs to be placed on correct CPR without deviation. Yes those other interventions are important, and have there place, however if your are not providing correct CPR techniques those other interventions are futile.

Just my opinion.

Have any deadlines been set for when services should have all personnel retrained? Has anyone heard of deadlines set by state, region, service, etc?

I also wasn't able to find any information on whether or not the Red Cross would make similar changes for their standards. Does anyone know?

For anyone interested, the AHA outlines their changes for professionals and laymen and the reasons for the changes in a PDF that can be found here: http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jht...ntifier=3035674

At my fulltime location, we have implemented new standards [for the infrequent cardiac arrests we do], and I believe in the past two months, we have had 2 ROSC, and one without any return of spontaneous circulation. I think more time would be needed for some 'real' numbers. Fortunately for our communities, we don't have many arrests. :-)

• 5 weeks later...

I've found that around here not a lot of people have bothered with the new standards. I even had a code a was working a few weeks ago where the medic with a local fire dept., who also works part time with my service, tried to jump my throat on scene for "improper ventilations".

We've had 3 ROSC with the new guidlines, none of them left the hospital so no saves.

We have also focused more on the prevention of the arrest. Aggressive treatment in the peri-arrest period has done wonders to the number of codes we have to work. Amazing how the heart that doesn't arrest is easier to save than the one that does. :lol:

The agency I ride with volunteer has just started to retrain everyone, as has my FD.

The hospital I work in.... I mentioned it to my unit manager, she said that the new protocols would be phased in with everyone's CPR recerts.

I like the changes. If they're implemented correctly, I think it'll mean a better arrest survival rate.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.