Grab a Book and just read

When studying to become an EMT or Medic, there is so much information to read, study and apply.

On most days when this was happening did you at some point throw in the towel ask yourself what was I thinking?

To understand the crucial point of passing and hoping to God you made it, now it wouldnt be to good if you cheated because assissting a pt where a life hangs in the balance is very dangerous. Why would I want to trust you with my life if for some reason you think you might know what your doing then again you might not be.

I'm just an EMR and if I want to climb the ladder and be up there with you Medics, I guess I'll just grab a book and read it, I can retain all information way better than a computer but a computer cant save a life.

What information can you assisst me with, what challenges you?

When studying to become an EMT or Medic, there is so much information to read, study and apply.

On most days when this was happening did you at some point throw in the towel ask yourself what was I thinking?

To understand the crucial point of passing and hoping to God you made it, now it wouldnt be to good if you cheated because assissting a pt where a life hangs in the balance is very dangerous. Why would I want to trust you with my life if for some reason you think you might know what your doing then again you might not be.

I'm just an EMR and if I want to climb the ladder and be up there with you Medics, I guess I'll just grab a book and read it, I can retain all information way better than a computer but a computer cant save a life.

What information can you assisst me with, what challenges you?

I would say start off reading something like this:

0805359583.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

then move on to something like this:

0878937250.01._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_AA240_SH20_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

(neuroscience)

Read them while working or something. A chapter or two every few days shouldn't take too long. Bonus points if you read them for a class.

Anatomy and physiology for nurses or other allied health professionals. You don't need to know the insertions of every single muscle group or the exact lay out of each vein like a med student does, but a good working knowledge of A&P is essential to even a good BLS provider.

A manual about basic police and fire tactics from your local area. Have a basic knowledge of what the guys in the other uniforms are doing and why.

Local and state (or provincial for you Canadians) laws regarding health care and specifically relating to EMS

And of course, your EMT manual. I really don't have a preference one over the other, but you may find one specific one that suits your taste.

Any general pathophysiology text will be helpful in the long run. I recommend Handbook of Pathophysiology by Corwin (ISBN 0397552130). You'll likely need to purchase a dictionary of medical terms as a companion book (to get through this and other texts). A note on reading a patho book such as this: read it mostly as a review rather than as a study aid; you don't need to be an expert on every malady...just read it to get a better understanding of how and why body systems fail during the process of disease.

Also

Find out what your local EMT class is using for a textbook. Then pick out a different EMT-B textbook and read it for content.

Good luck and have fun!

-Trevor