If you were an EMS god...

OK, it seems that there has always been talk about different things that could be improved (pay, education, staffing, etc), but never a full layout. So...

If you were the leader/medical director of an EMS agency (your choice of type (fire ran, police ran, 3rd government agency, private, volly), how would you run things. What trade-offs would you make between on-line medical control/standing orders? Levels required to staff an ambulance? Education levels? Types of calls? Sources of money?

All are fair game to try to cover, but remember, money and degreed medics don't grow on trees.

If a specific plan sparks debate, please form a new thread. Questions for clarification on specific items are welcome.

Master of EMS Universe

Start at the top.

EMS would be removed from NHTSA, and have a Federal Division of its own.

All State EMS Directors would had have EMS experience.

Every State would have State Board of Paramedics, (similar to nursing) ran by Paramedics for Paramedics. Retirement and benefits set by state, similar to Fire Services.

All State would eliminate, certification level for Paramedic level, and require license.

EMS managers would have to have a minimum of a MBA, or equivalency of true management education.

EMS Instructors would have to have a minimum of Graduate Level to teach. Chairperson(s) having at least a Doctorate level.

All Paramedic level would be a minimum of undergrad (baccalaureate level). With option of RN/Paramedic, or Education, Management specialty for entry into graduate level. The wording "EMT" would be removed.

To be able to proclaim, the title Paramedic one would have to have at least 1 year minimum or documented experience.

All clinical hospital sites would have professor on site, like all other health careers.

EMT position would be for non medical services such as rescue, LEO, 1'st responders, etc..

Reimbursement rates would be based upon level of care, and ability to increase with proper documentation of education of staff, and TQI. and active participation of involvement in health care systems.

Benefit package and enough pay incentive that EMS personal would not have to supplement their income. Ones could actually retire form EMS

More to come..

R/r 911

I like what Rid said.......for an old guy he is kinda smart....Me I would have to think about this long and hard to and devise a plan and that i am not going to do right now cause is is like TOOOOOOOOOO early in the morning to do that much thinking

but a good question though one i will follow if nothing else just to get some ideals to try to change some of the ways we do things and maybe make it better ....

Later

Terri

To be able to proclaim, the title Paramedic one would have to have at least 1 year minimum or documented experience.

What would they be in their first year of work?

EMT position would be for non medical services such as rescue, LEO, 1'st responders, etc..

R/r 911

Rid, I don't know if I am agreeing with your statements for the same reason you wrote them, but I agree.

Master of EMS Universe

Start at the top.

All State EMS Directors would had have EMS experience.

Every State would have State Board of Paramedics, (similar to nursing) ran by Paramedics for Paramedics. Retirement and benefits set by state, similar to Fire Services.

All State would eliminate, certification level for Paramedic level, and require license.

EMS managers would have to have a minimum of a MBA, or equivalency of true management education.

EMS Instructors would have to have a minimum of Graduate Level to teach. Chairperson(s) having at least a Doctorate level.

All Paramedic level would be a minimum of undergrad (baccalaureate level). With option of RN/Paramedic, or Education, Management specialty for entry into graduate level. The wording "EMT" would be removed.

All clinical hospital sites would have professor on site, like all other health careers.

Reimbursement rates would be based upon level of care, and ability to increase with proper documentation of education of staff, and TQI. and active participation of involvement in health care systems.

Benefit package and enough pay incentive that EMS personal would not have to supplement their income. Ones could actually retire form EMS

More to come..

R/r 911

Rid, what would you think of putting EMS under the oversight of ABEM (American Board of Emergency Medicine)? These are the people that set the standards for us to be board certified in EM.

Rid, I don't know if I am agreeing with your statements for the same reason you wrote them, but I agree.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Oh no tell me it isnt true....QUINT agrees with RID on something.......never thought this day would come...

later

Terri

Rid, what would you think of putting EMS under the oversight of ABEM (American Board of Emergency Medicine)? These are the people that set the standards for us to be board certified in EM.

Wouldn't this move cause EMS to remain a bastardized service, with no real direction? True, it is probably better than the present, but I can't help but think that it would only keep things the same.

Nationwide, the standards need to be the same for every provider level. The ABEM would be a good place to secure the standards.

Increase the educational requirements. Perhaps an AS level degree for entry level providers, and the BS for all ALS. Of course, pay scales will have to increase accordingly.

Eliminate the Intermediate level altogether. It has outlived it's utility. The rural departments that hold on to this level so adamantly, need to realize the increase to full paramedic is well worth it.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Oh no tell me it isnt true....QUINT agrees with RID on something.......never thought this day would come...

later

Terri

Sure it will ITK, but only with people that talk out their mouth! :wink:

What would they be in their first year of work?

'paramedic preceptee'

' provisionally registration paramedic' ...

take your pick

probably i nthe way that a 'trainee Ambulance technician' in the Uk has actually completed the course but is still in their first year after passing the course and has to work with a fully qualified member ofstaff ( whether tech or paramedic)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.