Pharmacology

Lithium

I went to a school with a dedicated Pharmacology course. I studied my butt off for it but ( Dust you've met the instructor) I didn't feel I was given adequate exposure to all of the information that I should have been. I will probably retake the course when I get to my new school. We were given a very basic introduction to drugs, how to administer (IV IO IM etc.)... We did drug reference cards on 1 drug in each category (126 cards total). But I don't feel it was enough. I will be looking for more reference material to study up on.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember the text book we used was actually for nursing students. There are a few allied health and nursing pharm text books that are really good, you might consider reading one of those as well. :wink:

Wow, the more I read here, the more I find out my Paramedic education wasn't the norm.

Our Pharmacology class [A 4 credit college course] did teach to the C level for all of our drugs. At least those NH allows prehospitally [Almost everything] and many that are common occurrences in transferland. Our only text was really a 2005 IV Drug reference book, which I keep on the truck with me now.

Our assessment class used a real Assessment book, primarily used by PA programs. Yeah, they made us buy the 5 Mosby series books, but that's not what our classes were based off of.

Very well said, and I would like to add onto that. There are 50 states in the US, there are 50 individual versions of these programs. This doesn't just go for EMS, this goes for every degree field, every subject, and every law. Generally they all meet the national standards, but they are all different in their own ways (and similar to each other in ways as well).

I have met a few of providers from Canada of both levels in real life. I was no more impressed by them then I was by other American paramedics and EMT's. It seems to be easy for our friends up North to poke at the American programs, but I would also like to point out the sheer volume of EMS providers that is required in the United States compared to Canada. There is good and bad in both countries, but if you want to pass judgment on an entire country; you must have the ability to say you've judged at least one program from every state for a random sampling. :wink:

Back to the subject at hand. I agree with Dustdevil, we should be on the C level, although most are only on the B level. My program didn't teach the C level on every medication (as there is no time); however we did get nearly every EMS drug on the C level and most other common medications seen in the field on the B level.

One question to throw out there, how many people can honestly say they have reference material (beyond a field guide) on the ambulance? I'm willing to bet not many.

Actually, I carry one in my backpack and I have the computerized PDR, but you're right, a simple field guide is about all there is for most.

I agree with Dustdevil, we should be on the C level, although most are only on the B level. My program didn't teach the C level on every medication (as there is no time); however we did get nearly every EMS drug on the C level and most other common medications seen in the field on the B level.

Another thing to consider in relation to why the "C" level is not taught on every drug, is possibly because the "C" level of knowledge is not known on every drug. I would even venture to say that the "C" level is not known for the majority of drugs. If you have ever read the CPS (or American equivalent) you will find that in most of the drug monographs under "Mechanism of action" there is a brief superficial description followed by "the mechanism of action is not fully understood".

As far as field reference guides go....I barely have enough space to stash my lunch on the truck. It is currently in a HRG (high risk of goo) location behind the jump seat.

OH! And another thing. Just because you carry more books definitely does not mean they will get read. Independent learning is challenging enough to normal people on normal schedules.........NM when all your free time is used to do frivolous activities like eating and sleeping.

Another thing to consider in relation to why the "C" level is not taught on every drug, is possibly because the "C" level of knowledge is not known on every drug. I would even venture to say that the "C" level is not known for the majority of drugs. If you have ever read the CPS (or American equivalent) you will find that in most of the drug monographs under "Mechanism of action" there is a brief superficial description followed by "the mechanism of action is not fully understood".

I have always loved that phrase "mechanism of action unknown/not fully understood. Damn near every analgesic has that phrase attached to it. Oh well at least the scientists are being honest, they could just make some shit up...

Mechanism of action-MS causes dilation of the receptor sites thereby causing impotence of the pain impulse to achieve erection.

Sounds good to me. :thumbright:

Peace,

Marty

:joker:

I was fortunate enough to have a separate pharmacology course in my Paramedic course, in fact a hell of a lot more detail than my nursing. My professor, did not believe in the old "drug cards" method of teaching, rather he instilled the philosophy I have now adapted of learning the CNS and an in depth pharmacological effects, and in-depth pathophysiology.

I agree that we have failed in educating Paramedics in even basic pharmacology. We need to address home prescribed medications, as well as in-hospital meds. So many patients are on diverse med.'s and many patients are transported with different medications. The "old days" of just knowing ACLS med.'s are long gone.

My suggestion is to have one combined detailed pharmacology class of both nursing and EMS students. As well, nurses are not always educated enough in emergency med.'s this would be an asset on both sides.

R/r 911

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.