First Aid Instructor TIPS

Hey guys!

I am finally back and very glad to be able to catch up on the posts! In about a month's time I am going to be spending a week taking my First Aid Instructor's course to teach first aid.

I know how dry first aid courses can be and looking for any advice or tips on how I can spice my courses up (while still following the teaching guidelines)? Also trying to figure out how to create a more friendly and fun atmosphere at the beginning of the course when the students come in (and they are really nervous because they dont know anyone, new territory...etc). Maybe a fun way of going around and have students present themselves etc....I honestly have no idea. :?: Do you guys share EMS experiences that are directly related to what you teach? I dont know if putting that in would be a good idea, I'm thinking it could make some people mad as they didnt sign up to hear my stuff.

Any advice appreciated

Thanks

Hey guys!

I am finally back and very glad to be able to catch up on the posts! In about a month's time I am going to be spending a week taking my First Aid Instructor's course to teach first aid.

I know how dry first aid courses can be and looking for any advice or tips on how I can spice my courses up (while still following the teaching guidelines)? Also trying to figure out how to create a more friendly and fun atmosphere at the beginning of the course when the students come in (and they are really nervous because they dont know anyone, new territory...etc). Maybe a fun way of going around and have students present themselves etc....I honestly have no idea. :?: Do you guys share EMS experiences that are directly related to what you teach? I dont know if putting that in would be a good idea, I'm thinking it could make some people mad as they didnt sign up to hear my stuff.

Any advice appreciated

Thanks

Avoid war stories, have everyone simply introduce themselves, save the stricter lecture type education to enviroments conducive to it, and have fun. Games, critical thinking based scenarios, and little paperwork are the best ways to go.

• 2 months later...

These aren't all about keeping it interesting, but here are a few tips:

- at the start of the class, if you find out why everyone is taking the class you can customize the course to what is relevant to them (yes, still stay within the guidelines, but emphasize the points that apply to your students)

- keep everything simple, these are not Paramedic students... one of the most important things for them will be to understand what is a 911 call and what isn't

- always explain (in basic terms) "why" so that students do not need to memorize very much, but will instead understand

- get the class involved constantly in giving answers

- as much as possible, get the students up and out of their chairs

Avoid war stories, have everyone simply introduce themselves, save the stricter lecture type education to enviroments conducive to it, and have fun. Games, critical thinking based scenarios, and little paperwork are the best ways to go.

Critical thinking scenarios for people who are often challenged by just learning CPR? These are just first aiders.

Critical thinking scenarios for people who are often challenged by just learning CPR? These are just first aiders.

doesnt matter. theres a big difference between a video and actually performing the skills. if they can think out the simple treatments, their abilities when called upon will be more concise and clean.

we require the critical thinking from basics, and thats about the same as the first aid program. amping up education across the board is the only appropriate solution to improve emergent care across the board, be it the layperson level or not

we require the critical thinking from basics, and thats about the same as the first aid program. amping up education across the board is the only appropriate solution to improve emergent care across the board, be it the layperson level or not

How is EMT-B "about the same" as a first aid program? Maybe we are talking about different things. What I am referring to is a two day Standard First Aid and CPR-C program intended for lay rescuers. In a two day first aid course there is barely enough time to make sure that students understand how to perform good CPR and know when 911 is needed.

If we are on the same page and you do include critical thinking scenarios in a two day course, can you please post a schedule of a typical course?

What I have to say is, get your students involved! If you stand at the front and lecture, even if you're a great speaker you'll lose them after half an hour. Look at their faces-- their body language will say a lot about how well they are learning. Bored faces indicate you need to either take a break, move on, or spice things up a bit. Confusion indicates the need for explanation, and so on.

As for keeping their interest, make the information very practically applicable. Don't say "well the standards are this, this, and this". Explain how it's done, and then why and when it should be done. Give personal stories if needed. What works even better is when you let students share their own experiences. Trust me, everybody pays attention when one of the students tells a really dramatic story. Just make sure it's appropriate for the subject matter though.

I personally don't like playing games; Maybe I'm not very creative, but I feel that for adults I can make it entertaining without having to play games. Just my opinion. I prefer doing some relevant scenarios, and assigning students to play different roles. It's not so much a game as it is a practical application of their skills. Granted, in a one or two day course we can't cover every situation in a scenario, but at least it gives students some added confidence in their abilities.

One more thing: people really appreciate it when it looks like you know what you're talking about. If you're able to explan the "why" of something, you'll earn their respect.

Good luck, and have fun!

I just taught at an instructor retreat and here are some of my suggestions on adult education.

Be happy! Truthfully, how many of us want to see an instructor that appears that they rather be doing something else ?

Skip the "Why are you here?" introduction, waste of time and really nobody cares, but themselves. Everyone is there to take the course and it does not matter.... period

DON'T lecture.. Notice how all AHA, and others have went to video tape/DVD teaching in lieu of lectures. Studies have shown performing and seeing is much more comprehensive than lectures alone.

Skip the war stories.. they are paying or attending classes to learn on their time..not to hear how YOU did something. This class is about them not you ... they will develop their own war stories later. Anecdotal stories in a very minimum that is associated with a specific task/skill to help clarify something is allowable, but be careful.

Allow your students to make mistakes: allow them to make errors then give positive correction. Many will correct on their own and learn and retain more by doing this.

Get Involved! Get down on the floor with them.. Use the 3 points of demonstration, when teaching a skill.

1) Demonstrate entire skill without lecture

2) Slowly teach skill with demonstration of each step

3) Demonstrate skill entirely without interruption. Then have students return demo to you....

Skip the games.. Only apply games when you know they are successful, or the subject is complex. Many adults learners feel intimidated by games.. and feel that they are foolish and immature. Be careful and apply when applicable

Use humor cautiously, and appropriately.

Follow standards and keep to curriculum as much as possible, but allow exceptions and discuss application outside the class room.

Positive reaffirmation! Give praise... and often, every one likes a pat on the back.. but, be sincere!

Finally have confidence in your self, all the students want to succeed and at the same time want to see you succeed as well!

Good luck,

• Like 1

A huge second to Rid's advice to be happy! Every great teacher I've ever had has genuinely seemed to be happy to be there teaching. It's hard to look forward to any sort of class when your teacher is obviously wishing they were out playing golf.

I've always personally hated the stand-up-and-introduce-yourself stuff. I think it actually makes the whole environment more tense and uncomfortable.