First Aid Instructor TIPS

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys

just joined the forum and interested to read the discussion on 'making training more fun'. When I start a course of 'strangers' I like to get students to introduce themselves and tell us about any previous training they have had and also tell the group about any personal experiences of carrying out first aid, these are not my war stories they are theirs. I think this helps them to relax get to know a bit about each other and more importantly enable me to establish the level of knowledge within the group.

Establishing prior knowledge is important because during the training I split the class into smaller workable groups and am able to get a good mix of experience and inexperience in each group.

We also use a lot of casualty simulated scenarios for the students to simulate and treat, this aides learning by making wounds, acting as a casualty and acting as the first aider. Following each groups scenario we finish by have personal, peer and tutor feedback which is very effective and encourages the students to do better on the next scenario.

Many years ago I used to teach in a very theoretical way but in recent years have realised that the students no matter what their level of learning is, all learn better from hands on practical training, it also makes it more fun for the instructor.

That's me rabbiting on :oops: I hope this is of some use

regards to all

Jackie

Skip the "Why are you here?" introduction, waste of time and really nobody cares, but themselves. Everyone is there to take the course and it does not matter.... period

With regards to intros in a class, I feel it (as everything else) really depends on the group...the age, the gender, the mix...everything. Take a class of younger folks that are there for any variety of reasons including work requirements etc as compared to a group of 20 people that is mostly a mix of two different work groups and everyone is older (like over 35).

First aid courses require you to splint and bandage another person for practice...depending on your group some may find this intimidating on perfect strangers. Having a quick intro can help break the initial ice. Especially for when it comes time to choosing a partner or group to work with.

Just my thoughts face-laugh.png

Hi Heidi

I agree with you about large mixed groups however, the optimum number of student to 1 trainer is best set at 12 and with a small group you can achieve a 'community' atmosphere in a very short time, it also allows the trainer to be able to identify slower or less capable students thus allowing the trainer to decide who is to be grouped with whom. I also find it better to let them initially choose a partner but as the course develops I changed them around to ensure everyone mixes and works together. I think it is a case of experimenting and finding out what works well and improve on any areas that are not successful. Course critiques quite often enable you to do that sort of analysis.

Regards

Jackie

• 3 years later...

My reputation for rehashing old topics should preceed me and here I am proving it lol. :D

First aid courses I have been involved in teaching are often industry specific (line haul drivers, volunteer firefighteres, ERT memebers, forestry workers, children groups etc) and so each course is tailored to suit the individual needs.

If I am dealing with responder teams like ERT that need a two day basic course with CPR, WPFA, AED and some extra skills like C-Collars and O2, I do find introductions are important as I don't work with the people, helps me identify the leaders and the shy ones that I will need to assist through the course and in some courses, you may have members from three or four different ERT teams, so its a chance to mingle with the team memebers themselves.

Humour is a brilliant instructional tool, if you can laugh at yourself and with the students, personally, I've found the courses to run alot smoother.

I use visual aids such as Powerpoint, video and big clear charts. The books and charts are scattered around the desks for group work of taking a medical condition each and presenting the basic - what it is, how it presents and what treatment is used and whether its time critical or not. I am not a fan of written exams, I am a person who would rather see someone succeed with the practical and verbally give the answers in a relaxed essence.

Every instructors style is different and also every countries style is different, New Zealand is a very much, sweet as mate attitude whilst maintaining professionalism.

Scotty