Professionalism vs Recruitment

I know many discussions have taken place here regarding professionalism and EMS. And yet, we keep finding things that are only damaging anything we may do to improve the current views.

Apparantly, this is a website and video for Pennsylvania EMS recruitment. I know I don't agree with it, what do you guys think?

http://www.rollwithit.com/flash/default.html

Yes, I've seen that video before a few months ago. I have mixed feelings about it. No, it doesn't really portray EMS in it's true form (come on, shocking someone on a wet roadway? no thank you haha) but it does get people interested. I think that was the point however, to stir up interest in young people to research EMS as a career.

On the same note, are the people who respond to such a stimulus really the ones we want attracted to this career? I don't really think so ... because not every call is a severe traumatic arrest. When they find this out, that most of EMS is totting non-acute people to the hospital because they don't have other means, are they going to stick around?

Plus (and no offense to our American friends) are the people in their last years of high school who truly want to set up a life-long career for themselves going to take this profession seriously, whey they find out all that is required to get in at the entry-level is a few hundred hours of night courses? Even up here in Ontario, I wish the program was longer (similar to the joint program between a college and university which is 4 years long and you graduate as a PCP with a Bachelors degree).

Anyways, those are my thoughts.

peace

This is no different a tactic at recruitment than the Navy doing almost the exact same thing using Godsmack as their sound track... Honestly how many truely stand half a chanse at becoming a SEAL. cause that what they always show ...

They just want to attract a younger population in to the field. i dont see anything wrong with it.

Race